Tuesday, June 16, 2015

It’s Just a Number, Right?



Yesterday, June 15, 2015, marked the 10th year I’ve been living with type 2 diabetes. Well, I’ve known about it for 10 years, I’ve definitely had it longer than that. I was diagnosed in June of 2005. I don’t know the exact date so I chose the 15th to mark the day. Many people with diabetes call it their diaversary and celebrate with a cupcake or some other treat. I woke up yesterday and said, “Huh”. No cupcake. No celebration. It was just another day.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that I’ve managed to live with my diabetes for this long and not develop any complications. I’m thankful that I can deal with it, most of the time, without much struggle. But there are still “those days” when diabetes can take a flying leap as far as I’m concerned.

Things other than diabetes have stepped up to take the front seat in my life which has caused me to not pay close attention to my D. I try to pay attention to what I eat and since I’ve dramatically changed my diet it isn’t that difficult really. I still struggle with munching when I shouldn’t. I wouldn’t call those times binges but I always end up eating something that isn’t good for my blood sugar. Good old stress. I test, but usually only first thing in the morning and those numbers have crept up and up. It is obvious to me that my diabetes has progressed because I can no longer “get away” with eating processed carbs. I used to be able to handle them on occasion but now, when I do eat something carby, my numbers are atrocious.

I have a regular appointment with my HCP this morning. I won’t be shocked if my A1c is elevated but I’m not ready to make any medication changes yet. I’d like to attempt to rein in my food issues on my own; tame the beast in my head and corral the stress as best I can. If I can’t, then I’ll see what meds can do for me.

10 is just a number. My A1c is just a number. Diabetes is a reality in my life and it’s important that I stay vigilant, regardless of the hard stuff that pops up. Life has constant changes. Some are good and some aren’t but I can never let the bumps in the road throw me off track. I can do this. I can. So can you.

6 comments:

  1. Having watched you journey from your first diagnosis to the award-winning diabetes blogger and educator you are, I have to say, "I am so proud to call you my sister."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on coming so far in 10 years. You have educated yourself and now you reach out to educate others. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for that. I am so proud of you, my friend!!

    (PS: I love your sister's comment!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on 10 hard-fought years. It means to you what it means to you. But it sounds like a big deal to me, and no doubt an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! And gee, I really wish more Type 2's could find your blog and be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good fight, Kate! It most certainly can be trying at times and then at other times it can seem like a cake walk (pun intended). I know the day I was diagnosed and still do not celebrate it and probably never will. To me it is just a reminder of how badly I was living at the time - don't want to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know my date was sometime in April 1996 but the exact date is lost to me. I have to keep reminding myself that the numbers - on the meter, on the scale, on my driving license - don't define me, they're just data and data can't hurt. That, of course, is easier said than done, but it makes me feel better when the morning meter reading is higher than I want it to be.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.