Monday, May 11, 2015

I Can



All week, I’ll be participating in the 6th annual Dblog Week, brainchild of my friend, Karen Graffeo over at Bittersweetdiabetes.com. It’s a wonderful way to connect with others in the diabetes online community by reading other folks’ thoughts on the same subject. At the bottom of each of my posts I’ll post a link to take you to a long list of blogs you can check out.

I Can

In the UK, there was a diabetes blog theme of "I can...” that participants found wonderfully empowering.  So let’s kick things off this year by looking at the positive side of our lives with diabetes.  What have you or your loved one accomplished, despite having diabetes, that you weren't sure you could?  Or what have you done that you've been particularly proud of?  Or what good thing has diabetes brought into your life?

Diabetes: The great motivator. There are a lot of words I could use to describe diabetes, but today we’re being positive. Today we’re focusing on what we can do either because of diabetes or despite it. The list is long, really. It sort of feels like an awards show where I’m giving my acceptance speech and I’m certain to forget to thank someone. I think I’ll focus on the things that diabetes has brought to my life as opposed to what I can do despite it. I mean, really, people who have diabetes can do anything they can dream of…just like anyone else.

Health

Diabetes has given me health. Weird huh? Yes, I have a chronic disease. No, there isn’t a cure. Yes, it sucks. But because of my diabetes I’m very aware of my body and my health. Back in the day when I only worried about losing weight (ugh!) I would often say “screw it” and fall of my diet wagon. I knew that I could climb back on whenever I wanted and it would only delay my weight loss for a bit…right? (Dang, I was so naïve.) I’m not going to tell you that I never say “screw it” now, because that would be a lie. We all stray from our path now and then; it’s almost a requirement, isn’t it? How sad would life be if we couldn’t celebrate from time to time? What I will tell you is that I rarely give up. I rarely stray for very long. I’m always conscious of how what I eat affects my health. At first that was daunting and a little depressing, but now it’s second nature. I’m making better choices and, therefore, am healthier because of my diabetes.

I’m a writer

I still want to write “that book” but my diabetes pushed me to begin writing. This blog wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for my diabetes. I seriously doubt that I would have begun a blog about any other topic. I’m passionate about diabetes; learning all I can and sharing what I know. I’ve been fortunate enough to write articles for a few diabetes websites, and that feels pretty good. My blog was selected as one of the top diabetes blogs of 2015 by Healthline.com.  Although it feels a little weird to toot my own horn about it, I’m totally stoked! I love writing and diabetes has shown me that I can do it. I can write.


I’m connected

Small confession: I’m feeling very disconnected here in the “real world”. Life has grown very narrow and…well it is what it is. If it weren’t for diabetes, I wouldn’t have found all the truly wonderful friends I’ve made in the DOC. This may sound trite and corny, but it’s true: the people I have met through diabetes have saved my bacon on more than one occasion. No, they didn’t give me carbs when I was low (I’m never low), but they did give me a hug or kind word or a laugh when I needed it most. My Facebook feed is filled to the brim with some amazing people from the DOC and I’m pleased to be able to call them friend. They have enriched my life beyond words. #VegasDust.

I would gladly live my life without diabetes, given the chance, but I wouldn’t give up what diabetes has given me by way of health, confidence and friendship. Diabetes: it isn’t all bad. (Well, that’s stretching it a bit, but it sounded like a great way to end this post.)

Check out other blog posts about today’s subject here: http://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=dblogweek&postid=30Apr2015

12 comments:

  1. Great post, Kate. It seems we both wrote about the same things today. Great minds, or something. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toot all you want Kate! Be proud of all you do in the DOC. I agree that the connection factor is so very true. As someone that was never a part of the DOC until this March, I'm loving every minute of it. I look forward to becoming even more involved in it. Now get writing that book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I totally agree with all of your DOC comments, because I've experienced the same thing (although I do go low on occasion). Congrats on the Healthline honor! I knew yours was one of the best diabetes blogs all along. Thanks for everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think diabetes does have a way of bringing out the best in us. Congratulations on the top diabetes blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #Kateisgreat
    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read what everyone has to say about the good things diabetes has brought them. Very empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ending, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I loved the ending too! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You absolutely should toot your own horn. You are amazing and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that I will join K2 in saying that #kateisgreat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing what diabetes can give us -- the challenge is recognizing that. Way to go on that, and I'm so glad to have you sharing your story in the DOC. Definitely worth that Healthline designation, for sure. And I'm on the same page as the DOC connection. Oh, and "save my bacon" is totally going to be a phrase in my regular vocab now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, maybe we should have toot-your-own-horn day. But seriously, quite a number of Type 2 Ds feel the same way - i.e., they are healthier because of their diagnosis with Type 2 diabetes and, after a lot of anxiety, now see that Type 2 D is not a death sentence but a new leash on life.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.