Saturday, May 16, 2015

Favorites and Motivations



If you have been blogging for a while, what is your favorite sentence or blogpost that you have ever written?  Is it diabetes related or just life related?  If you are a new blogger and don't have a favorite yet, tell us what motivated you to start sharing your story by writing a blog? 

This prompt caused me to go back over the 4+ years of blogging to find a “favorite”. I certainly didn’t read all my posts, but I did read a few. A couple of thoughts: Wow, I really did things differently back then! and Some things never change!

Lately, one of the things I’ve tried to focus on in my advocacy is to improve education for type 2s. That’s a huge undertaking and certainly not one I can handle on my own. I can, however, try to shed light on ideas that folks should be thinking about; things that will make a difference in their life with diabetes. Way back in August, 2011 I had a post called “The more I learn, the more I don’t know.”


A person who is newly diagnosed with diabetes is like a baby sea turtle.  We pop out of the sand with no one there to protect or guide us.  We’re expected to make it to the sea on our own without being eaten by a passing bird. (Well, we don’t have to worry about being eaten by a bird but you get my drift.) We have no idea what is going on and we’re scared. We’re at the mercy of our doctor when it comes to answering the big question, “what do I do now?””

I’m kinda proud of that post. It points out that we can’t necessarily rely on someone else to tell us what to do in order to deal with our diabetes.  The bottom line is that we are each responsible for educating ourselves.  No one else can do it for you.”

Another, more recent post also points out that we’re all different and we all need to take charge and figure out what we need to do to control our diabetes.  That isn’t me.

Everyone is unique. Everyone lives their lives the way that works best for them. What makes anyone think that, just because we have diabetes, we should all be doing the same thing to control the beast? We’re individuals whether we have diabetes or not.”

So yeah, I highlighted more than one sentence and more than one post, but…I do what I want. I'm a rebel. I was pleased to see that, even though what I eat and how I deal with my diabetes has changed over the years, I’ve stayed a pretty true course of encouraging people to educate themselves and take charge of their diabetes. That is my favorite.

Want to know what everyone else thought their favorite was? Go here.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Kate. Nice to know I'm not the only one who shared more than one post. Rebels to the core. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what kind of diabetes you have, self education and probably self management is the key to success. That's what you preach and that's what I try to live.

    BTW, the link to "The More I learn" post didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up Laddie. I fixed it.

      Delete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.