Wednesday, January 7, 2015

That isn’t me.



There’s a guy who says he controls his type 2 diabetes by shunning trans fats and eating a handful of walnuts every day. Good for him. That isn’t me.

Some people with diabetes swear that adding cinnamon to their daily lives helps them to maintain healthier blood glucose readings. Bravo! That isn’t me.

A lot of PWD maintain that they can eat anything they want, in moderation, and still control their diabetes. Lucky ducks. That isn’t me.

If you believe the media hype, type 2 diabetes can “go away” if you only do this, that or something else. That isn’t true for me.

Whole grains are healthy and should be part of everyone’s diet. That doesn’t work for me.

There are people who say, loudly, that diabetes is easy to control, that the lifestyle changes that are necessary aren’t difficult, that it’s a breeze. That isn’t me nor have I found that to be true.

So-called experts and PWD who have “seen the light” will happily tell you how you’re doing it wrong and that they know the way. That isn’t me.

There are so many morbidly obese people in our society and some people feel that it’s their own fault and that is what causes type 2 diabetes. That isn’t me.

Some people only do what their doctor tells them they should be doing without researching on their own or questioning a health plan that might not work for them. That definitely isn’t me.

What IS me?

I’m someone who has made drastic changes to my lifestyle over many years.

I’m someone who doesn’t “do it right” all the time. In fact, I’m someone who “does it wrong” more than I’d like to admit.

I’m someone who has very specific ideas on how people should be eating to maintain health and am leaning heavily toward the idea that food can be medicine.

I’m someone who won’t cram those ideas down anyone’s throat, although I may talk about them here. It is my blog, after all.

I’m someone who has grand ideas but doesn’t always know how to make those ideas reality.

I’m someone who aches for people with diabetes and wishes that it wasn’t so hard.

I’m normal, mostly. I’m nothing special, except to my family. I’m a person with diabetes who is tired of reading all the misinformation, myths and contradicting information that can be found online and in publications. I’m tired of the media and companies preying on people who need help. 

Mostly, I’m tired of the medical society lumping all people with diabetes into one big bunch, thinking that one way; one food plan; one method will work for us all. I call bullshit.

Everyone is unique. Everyone lives their lives the way that works best for them. What makes anyone think that, just because we have diabetes, we should all be doing the same thing to control the beast? We’re individuals whether we have diabetes or not. 

If I could have just one wish for 2015 (that didn’t involve a cure) it would be that people with diabetes would pay attention, take action and learn the best way to control their diabetes. I wish for a more informed, proactive community of people who are living wonderful lives, despite their diabetes.

6 comments:

  1. You said it perfectly, Kate. In fact, I bet there isn't any sentence that can be applied to every person with diabetes. We are all so different. That is why it really rubs me the wrong way when people speak for all people with diabetes. What is true for them isn't necessarily true for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love this post. Very well said. Thank you x 1,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your blog's thanks Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I found out that I have Type 2 in sept 2014. Since then I did endless hours of research on the subject. It is not that I don't trust my doctor but that this is me, my body and my life and I demand a say so in what is done to it. The hardest part, besides not eating what I love, is that most either ignore their illness or suffer in silence. I am coping, not quietly but with a right in your face deal with it attitude. To deal with it I started a blog as well, after all I don't want that monster inside me to define me. So I write and share and keep going. It helps to find people that are involved in the management of their Type 2 and who knows maybe in all you tried I find one more thing that might make my life easier.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.