Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Moving forward by looking back



Have you ever had a dream where you’re trying to get somewhere and you just can’t seem to reach your destination?  You can see it off in the distance but the path isn’t clear.  You might even be moving in slow motion.  That’s what depression feels like to me.

Life has been rough lately.  The interesting thing about this funk is that it has absolutely nothing to do with my diabetes.  In fact, I rarely think about my D lately.  That could be a bad thing but it hasn’t been too much of an issue.  My eating habits have changed so much over the years that I’m on auto-pilot when I eat and my choices are “ok”.  (I can still snack too much though).

I could have just ridden out this episode of depression without saying anything but it has caused me to lose interest in blogging.  Heck, it’s caused me to lose interest in just about everything. I’ve decided to take a hiatus.  I need to focus on the things that are causing my low mood and fix them, if I can.  There are lots of other bloggers out there and you can read their stuff.  If you just found my blog, I hope you’ll go back and read some of my earlier posts.  I’ve been at this for a few years now and I’ve had things to say, some of which might help you.  Ya never know.

Depression is a serious thing that isn’t talked about very often.  I don’t have chronic depression but this bout is serious enough that I’m going to seek help.  I need an ear; an ear that isn’t involved. There is no shame in admitting that you need help.  I hope that anyone reading this who deals with depression will seek help, if needed.

See you around…down the road.

If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” Stephen Fry

3 comments:

  1. Kate, I will miss reading your words of wisdom but completely understand that you need some "me" time to help dig your way out of your current depression. Take care and pop into Facebook for an occasional hello. Blogs are not supposed to be a burden so it's good that you have given yourself permission to take a break. But no breaks from friendship please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Laddie said. You are great and I support you... no conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes, Kate. From a lurker that you have helped so many times to get back on track with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.