Wednesday, May 7, 2014

It’s your journey



Looking back over some of my early posts, I’m amazed at how far I’ve come in my journey with diabetes (and how many times I use the word journey and how much sarcasm drips from my fingers and…).  I’ve even considered deleting some of the early posts that I no longer agree with but I’ve decided that I can’t do that because that’s all a part of who I am  and how I got to this place.  For instance, what I eat these days has dramatically changed.  I no longer eat margarine (did I ever really do that?) and now buy butter, low-fat isn’t on the table any more (other than lower fat cheese for Ray) and perusing the sugar-free candies/cookies/sweets doesn’t appeal to me in the least.  At the most, I might go back and edit those posts to let people know that’s the “old” Kate, but let’s get real, I’m having a hard enough time just writing new posts do I really think I’m going to go back and edit something I wrote three years ago?  Probably not.

This whole activity got me to thinking about what it’s like to search online for information about living with type 2 diabetes (or any type, for that matter) and being so confused about which method/diet/medication/supplement/witch doctor to believe and follow.  It’s really confusing.  It’s dang complicated.  No one…NO ONE has all the answers or knows how to tell you what to do to control your diabetes.  That includes the big guns like the American Diabetes Association, WebMd or any other reputable organization.  Sure you can get good ideas or suggestions from any website or blog, but until you take ownership of your own diabetes it’s all just noise.  It’s up to each of us to teach ourselves what works best for us.  It’s up to me to do what’s best for me.  If, along the way, I’m able to post an idea or thought about living with diabetes here on my blog then I think that’s helpful.  Does that mean you should automatically do what I do?  Heck no.  You might find an idea or recipe intriguing enough to try it yourself but it’s your responsibility to decide whether or not it actually works for you.  That’s also true of the information you receive from reputable organizations.  Take it all with a grain of salt.   

Educate yourself.  Do what’s best for you because, after all, this is your journey with diabetes.  I can guarantee that the journey will have bumps and hills with frustrations and regrets but it will also have some smooth sailing and feelings of elation and accomplishment. I can also guarantee that your way of treating your diabetes will change, just as mine has.  Sometimes things work for awhile and then not so well or maybe we learn something new that we'd like to try.  It’s just life.  It’s your life.  It’s your journey.  I intend to make my journey as awesome and filled with adventure as I can.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so true, but I must say is confusing to people newly diagnosed. I think a lot of so called diets/suggestions are sponsored and it is hard to know who to believe.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.