Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 4: Mantras and more






Yesterday we opened up about how diabetes can bring us down. Today let’s share what gets us through a hard day.  Or more specifically, a hard diabetes day.  Is there something positive you tell yourself?  Are there mantras that you fall back on to get you through?  Is there something specific you do when your mood needs a boost?  Maybe we've done that and we can help others do it too?

Yesterday’s post was hard to write because I just didn’t want to think about the stuff that gets me down. However, we can’t just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that bad stuff doesn’t exist.  It’s better to face it and move on.  So what gets me through the hard stuff?  What makes it easier to keep on keepin’ on?

Stubbornness

Hope that something I’m doing will make a difference down the road.

Ray.  He is my rock.

My kids.  Dang, but they’re wonderful people!

My grandsons.  Whose heart doesn’t sing while watching kids be kids? (Especially when you can send them home at the end of the day.  Being a grandma ROCKS!)

The realization that life is really, really good and I want to experience it in all its glory for as long as possible.

Sunshine.  Camping. Accomplishing something…anything.  Eating a healthy meal that shouldn’t wreak my blood sugar, and enjoying it immensely!  Losing myself in a good book.

The “thing” that helps me get through the rough times doesn’t really matter.  What matters is that I remember that there are good things to dwell on and that dwelling on the crap that is diabetes doesn’t do me any good.  I hate feeling down and love feeling good (I’m such a rebel).

Everyone has tough times.  We all know that diabetes sucks, but just because it sucks doesn’t mean that we have to let it ruin our lives! Diabetes is just one part of my life and giving it the power to ruin my day isn’t something I’m willing to do on a regular basis.  Everyone has something bad that they have to deal with and diabetes is one of my crosses to bear. I may have diabetes but it doesn’t have me.

Read more blog posts on this subject here.

2 comments:

  1. You're right that family and the good parts of life make dealing with the diabetes stuff worth it. Diabetes isn't going away and we only have one life:-)

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.