Monday, December 2, 2013

Alzheimer’s and type 2 diabetes


I’ve been aware for some time now that there is a link between type 2 diabetes and alzheimer’s disease.  In fact, alzheimer’s has been called Type 3 diabetes by some.  I never gave it much thought, at least not much more thought than I do to any of the other complications we can face when dealing with diabetes.  Yes, there are complications but if we do our best to control our diabetes and keep our blood sugar steady, we have a good chance of avoiding those complications.  I’ve always had a sense that I have some control.  But I recently read this news report  that caused me to sit up and take notice.

The article says, right off the bat, that alzheimer’s may be late stage type 2.  It isn’t saying that it’s another form of diabetes, but something that happens to an estimated 70% of people with type 2.  70% is a rather large number.  Apparently, the excess insulin we tend to secrete when we are insulin resistant also finds its way to our brain.  There is a hormone that is supposed to…never mind me trying to explain what you can read for yourself.  Just follow the link above if you want more scientific information.  The bottom line is that too much insulin in our system causes a buildup of a substance in our brain.  This buildup forms toxic clumps that can lead to memory loss.

Here is where I tell you a secret.  I’m going to whisper it so it doesn’t seem so bad.  I’m scared.  For the first time since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I’m really scared.  You see, I’ve been a bit forgetful lately.  I know that we all lose words and names from time to time, but sometimes I can’t retrieve the word no matter how hard I try. It’s just not there.  I can almost see it but I can’t say it. That combined with the news I read has led to my concern.

I’ve always been open about the downside of diabetes.  It’s not all rainbows and unicorns.  However, I also try to give a little hope; some words to encourage us to keep up the good work etc.  It seems logical to me that the more we control our blood sugar and try to keep it as normal as possible, the better chance we will have of keeping those complications at bay.  This seems to make sense in this context too.  I can do that.  I can work to eat sensibly and walk on my treadmill.  I also feel that doing mental exercises to maintain our memories can help.  Crossword puzzles, memory games, heck even Plants vs Zombies can help!  (I’ve been whacking those zombies lately.  It’s fun!) However, there’s this nagging little voice in my head telling me that I’m doomed.  GAH!  I refuse to listen!!!!!  I will work toward being one of the 30% who don’t develop dementia, dammit.  I refuse to give up.  Onward into the fray!  Man the battle stations and do not abandon ship!  I’m trying and I hope you are too.

3 comments:

  1. Kate - and we wonder why people with type 2 diabetes seem to think they can just ignore diabetes, let their A1c's elevate, and forget that they have diabetes. Not only this article that you list, but diabetes is a known risk factor for dementia. It is time for people to wake up and realize that their doctors are not doing them any favors when they offer no education, do not teach them how and the why of testing, and explaining the risks they have for the different complications. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At 64 yrs I completely reversed my Diabetes Type 2 by:
    1 Stop eating foods with "Trans Fats".
    2 Replenish the fat membrane in my cells with natural essential fats from a fistful of Walnuts per day.
    3 Do for 7 months ... my DT2 completely reversed.
    Wrote a short eBooklet (10 pages) free on Kindle Prime called
    "The Walnut Cure for Diabetes Type2" Hope it helps someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raymond, I'm pleased to hear that your T2 is under control. Good for you! I can appreciate your belief that your regimen is the way to go, and I'm glad that it was for you, but it isn't the answer for everyone. I no longer eat trans fats, eat plenty of walnuts and I've been doing this for more than 7 months. I still have blood sugar issues. I'm sure that your situation is a combination of factors, one of which is that you have changed your lifestyle. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that what works for you probably won't work for everyone else. Congrats on your success!

      Delete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.