Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: Thoughts, revelations, battles and victories




It’s the end of another year.  I don’t think most people can help thinking back over the year at a time like this.  I don’t really intend to regurgitate my year but, since I haven’t been blogging much lately, I thought this would be a good time to highlight some observations I’ve had about my diabetes in the hopes that others might glean some insight about their own condition.  So here are some observations, in no particular order:

Eating 2 or 3 small pickles just before bed can help my fasting blood sugar be a tad lower.  I’ve read that vinegar can help control blood sugar, and I guess it’s true, but I absolutely could not drink it. Gag.  I do, however, adore dill pickles.  I found some that I really like (Mt. Olive Kosher Baby Dills).  Noshing on a couple of pickles at around 10 PM is a way for me to have some vinegar.  It’s helping.  Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that eating a few pickles after overeating doesn’t negate the pig-out.  I did extensive testing. :/  You’re welcome.

Eating pickles after brushing your teeth is not the best idea.

Everyone has tough times.  Everyone. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been doing the diabetes thing, or how well you’re controlling your D, you will eventually have tough times.  Sometimes all you can do is slog through it, but having the support of people who understand is invaluable. (Thank you Bob, Bea, Sue and Doc P and tons of other awesome peeps.) 

Tough times don’t last forever.  Hallelujah.

I’ve known all along that type 2 diabetes is progressive and now I’m experiencing that for myself.  This fact has a lot to do with my recent tough times.  Regardless of the fact that I have removed most of the processed foods from my diet, reduced my carb intake, etc., my A1c has climbed to where it was when I was diagnosed.  I’m working on it with my doctor.  I will get back in control.

Tough times/disease progression can lead to uncontrolled eating because…well, I just didn’t give a flip.  Depression sucks.  It doesn’t help to live there.  I’m working on that too.

In the last year I have eaten less and moved more than I have in my entire adult life!  Yay me!  I have also gained 15 lbs during that same time period.  Huh.  Makes you think that maybe, just maybe, the folks who blame overweight people for being lazy and eating too much are wrong.  Completely, rudely wrong.  There is obviously something else happening inside my body that caused me to gain this weight and is preventing me from losing it.  Me thinks it’s excess insulin.  I mean, it’s obvious that my insulin resistance is greater (increased A1c), therefore there is probably more insulin floating around in my blood, doing no good, and causing me to add fat.  Peachy.

There is no greater joy in life than family.

There is no greater source of stress in life than family.

The first statement far outweighs the second statement. 


Adding ¼ cup of pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg to my almond flour muffin recipe = damn-near-as-good-as-pumpkin-bread.  #Score! 

I can’t eat bread.  Period.  I kept thinking I could and spent a lot of time bummed over the glucose spikes.  I’m done with it.

I CAN eat the bread I make from this recipe!  Total and complete WIN!  I bake this stuff up, slice it and freeze it with waxed paper between each slice.  I toast what I want, when I want it. Sandwiches still have a place in my life.  What a relief.

Christmas without ridiculous amounts of presents and food is still Christmas.  It’s still a wonderful time.

Note to self: don’t bake a bunch of stuff at Christmas unless you send it all home with family as they leave your house.

I love my husband.  We just celebrated our 5th anniversary.  I am so lucky to have found him.  It’s amazing what a simple “hello” can do.

I’m sure there are more words I could throw at you, but I’m kinda tired.  Despite the tough times, I’m hopeful.  I’m determined to keep at this battle with diabetes and win.  I hope that those who are reading this had a lovely holiday season with their families and that 2014 turns out to be awesomesauce.  Happy New Year.
 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I learn a lot from your posts... keep it up. Wishing you all the best in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen! I wish the same for you and yours.

      Delete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.