Friday, October 11, 2013

Funk



A funk is a dejected mood, according to Dictionary.com.  I didn’t need to look it up to know what it is.  I live it on occasion.  There are times when I literally slog through my day.  Joy does not abound.  Sadness prevails.  It is a form of depression but it isn’t chronic, nor does it require intervention.  I usually just need to wait it out and let it pass.  The wait seems interminable.  

The trick, for me at least, is to not let my funk play serious tricks on my head.  When in a funk I can get to feeling like nothing is worth the effort.  I can begin to focus on negative things and turn them into huge problems.  I feel guilty and can sometimes tear up over some presumed problem.  Life can feel hopeless.

I spend a lot of time reading articles and blogs about health and nutrition.  This is done to educate myself as well as for my gig on diabeticconnect.com.  Sometimes the overwhelming information can put me in a funk…or maybe I just react badly because of a funk.  Which came first?  It’s hard to say.  I recently read some negativity regarding almond flour (too much omega-6 fatty acids).  I wanted to throw up my hands and give up!  Almond flour has become a wonderful tool in my attempts to lower my carb intake.  So now I shouldn’t eat it?  I’m screwed.  But wait!  Don’t let the funk overwhelm you, Kate.  Too much of anything isn’t good for us.  Do I eat too much almond flour?  Nope.  Do I also add flaxmeal (which is loaded with omega-3s)?  Yup.  So settle down, dammit.  We need both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.  It’s the balance that matters.  I'm not giving up almond flour because of a funk.

Dictionary.com also says that a funk is a strong smell; stench. Yup, it stinks alright.

If you haven’t guessed yet, I’m currently in a funk.  It’s ok, I’ll get over it.  We all find ourselves living here from time to time.  Don’t let a funk ruin your good work.  If your funks last very long or are overly frequent; seek help.  

Funk can also be a kind of blues rock; jazz based on gospel music.  Funky: stylish and exciting; cool. That’s the kind of funk I can deal with.  I can be funky.  Funky is good.  Here’s hoping I’m back to my funky self soon.


2 comments:

  1. I know what you are saying. Minor depression is not good or a good place to be in. I sounds to me that your positive attitude is serving you well and keeping you going and still managing your diabetes! Keep the battle going and put the funk behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those funks!!! I hope yours has passed and you are feeling more like the wonderful person you are!!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.