Sunday, September 15, 2013

It seems simple; it’s not easy



My journey with diabetes has been a mix of highs and lows; both emotionally and blood sugar-wise.  This journey has taken me from total ignorance/naivety, through over confidence and feelings of defeat, right up to today when it feels as if I’ve researched SO much about diabetes and nutrition that my head is swimming and I just want out of the pool.  These days I’m feeling extra frustrated because, living with type 2 diabetes seems so simple when looked at objectively but it’s far from that, isn’t it.

My research and testing have brought me to the conclusion that I need to shun many foods that are part and parcel of the standard American diet.  Sometimes that makes me sad and pouty; wishing for things that I can no longer eat.  Those types of feelings cause me to wish for things like insulin (as I wrote about here).  In reality, I’m just fine most of the time when I’m here at home.  It’s when I go out to eat with friends that I find myself longing for the “old days”.

Eating a more healthy diet, one that has more fresh foods than processed, takes a lot of work!  I have to face the reality that, when it comes to cooking, I’m rather lazy.  I usually want it fast, simple and yummy.  Those three things don’t necessarily go along with fresh and healthy.  That’s not to say that you can’t have fast and simple, it just means you have to plan ahead.  That takes me back to the fact that I can be lazy…vicious circle.

This brings me to my latest challenge: do what I need to do in order to eat a healthier diet, easily.  Sounds simple; it’s not easy.  This new project will take discipline on my part.  It doesn’t require willpower, which is something that rarely works.  It will require discipline.  I can be disciplined!  I can!  I went grocery shopping this morning and tried to purchase items that will make it easier to reach for healthier foods.  I also found myself comparing cans of beans to see which would be better: lower sodium or more fiber.  It dawned on me that I’m an idiot!  (kinda embarrassing when you have this type of revelation in the grocery store; especially when you voice it out loud <sheepish grin>).  The reason I’m an idiot is that I know how to cook beans “from scratch”.  It’s not like its difficult…but it takes time and planning.  So, I bought a couple of packages of dried beans and they’re soaking as I type.  I bought a bunch of kale to make chips.  Yesterday, I made low carb granola bars.  I’m experimenting with almond flour bread.  I am determined to find a way of eating that is healthier as well as more blood glucose friendly.  

This is not an unreachable goal. I know I can do this. I need to remember that my health (and Ray’s too) is far more important that the momentary bliss I can get from eating something that I know isn’t good for me.  You can do this too.  Regardless of your food plan, you know in your heart that there are changes you can make to improve your overall health.  Yes, you can.  Here’s hoping that we can all be successful.  Now, I’m off to make kale chips.  Yum!

4 comments:

  1. You are so correct, Kate! We know what to do and it seems simple, but it is so hard to stay with it! Your blog helps me stay focused. Now, off to soak some beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing that helps me the most is the struggle between lazy and healthy. I've been trying to figure out when it's worth spending extra money - for example, Whole Foods sells fresh fruit salad. It isn't cheap, but if I buy it I will always eat it because it's all ready to go. I'm realizing it's worth spending the money on that and cutting out some of the less healthy foods I might buy. :)

    I love making kale chips too, yum!! I just bought a big bag of pre-washed, cut up kale this morning. Again, it make cooking my own kale chips a breeze!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making better eating choices - whatever that means to your body - and getting some exercise every day are so important for overall good health. We know this but it's still so hard to do. It's a decision and a commitment that I have to make again every single morning when I wake up. Bravo for taking things in hand and making that commitment because I know from experience that it IS NOT easy!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.