Sunday, June 30, 2013

Will the real Kate please stand up?



From time to time I go back and read some of my previous blog posts.  There are two reasons for this: 1. It’s interesting to see what folks are reading on my blog and 2. It helps me to stay focused on what I’m doing and to remember where I’ve been.  Just recently this activity caused me to have some uncomfortable feelings.  Why?  Because someone might come to the conclusion that I either don’t know how I feel about things or that I have multiple personalities.

I’ve written about how food producers and/or the government should do something to help people eat a more healthy diet, and I’ve also written how it’s up to us to eat more healthy foods and it’s not the job of food producers to do it for us.  I’ve said that there is no way I could follow a low carb diet…and then I did.  I’ve told how proud I am of the changes I’ve made to my diet; limiting carbs and shunning junk food and then I complain that I can’t eat such things and wish that I could take insulin!  Who am I really?

I’m all of those people.  Every word I write in my blog comes from me, from my heart.  It’s a diary, after all, of my journey with type 2 diabetes.  Everyone changes their mind over time on one subject or another.  Living with a disease like type 2 diabetes can cause you to over think or have an excess of hope that you’ll find something that will make all the difference in your glucose control.  Reading about new ideas or other ways to deal with D can make it easier to switch teams, so to speak.  It can cause you to rethink your ideas and make it easier to try something else.  I think that’s a good thing.

My life with diabetes is an ongoing science experiment.  I enjoy trying new things and I’m proud of the fact that I pay attention to how my glucose is doing and am willing to adjust when necessary.  My mind is not closed, especially when it comes to dealing with diabetes.  I’m also human and I will have days when I don’t feel as confident or am just plain tired of it all.  My blog is a place where I can say what I’m thinking and I don’t spend any time worrying that I might be contradicting myself.  So there you have it, I do know how I feel about things and I don’t have multiple personalities.  It’s all me; the real Kate.  The real Kate may change her mind now and then.  You’re just gonna have to deal with that.

4 comments:

  1. Love ya, Kate, but you're an amateur here. I can change my mind five times in the course of a single post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written the above post. Well, if you change all the times you wrote "Kate" and insert "Sue". You're right - we change how we feel every now and then. Sometimes several times in one day. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob and Sue. You've both made me smile. I <3 the DOC!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.