Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 1: Share and Don’t Share





All week I’ll be participating in Diabetes Blog Week.  At the bottom of each post I’ll post a link to the page where you can see tons of awesome blogs about diabetes.

Day 1: Share and Don’t Share

Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see? 

If my health care provider could peek into my daily life with diabetes, I would hope that she’d be bored.  I would hope that she would see someone who is doing all the right things without too much trouble.  What she wouldn’t be able to see is the thing that I most wish she could: what goes on in my mind at times.  I wish she could see how I sometimes struggle with decisions revolving around food.  She might see me choose a healthier meal but I would like her to see how sometimes it’s just freakin’ hard to pass up something less healthy; how avoiding pizza and chips and bread isn’t easy; how I sometimes feel so deprived.  I may do the right things more often than not, but that doesn’t mean it’s always easy.

What I wouldn’t want her to see is someone who appears to be “all together”, someone who doesn’t struggle because I do struggle at times.  I may not be a stereotypical type 2 but that doesn’t mean it’s easy.  Just because I’m not obese and my glucose numbers are looking pretty good, that shouldn’t negate my hard work or my inner “demons”.

People who are dealing with type 2 diabetes don’t just “have to watch what they eat”.  We have to make a conscious effort to eat a healthier diet and live a healthier lifestyle.  That may sound easy and you may be thinking “so what?”, but making choices that are healthier is a life-long commitment.  Going without past beloved foods is a choice, a good choice, and important choice…but not always an easy choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.