Saturday, April 20, 2013

What is Reasonable?



More and more studies are being conducted to try to determine what causes type 2 diabetes and how to best control it.  I, of course, have my own opinions about some of the issues, but I’m not a scientist or a doctor.  Even the medical professionals can’t agree!  Eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes but, in December, 2012 there was an article that starts by saying, “A new study suggests countries that use large amounts of high fructose corn syrup in their food may be helping to fuel the global epidemic of type 2 diabetes.”   Robert H. Lustig, MD, whose popular YouTube video I discussed here,  also contends that the mass quantities of HFCS we are consuming is leading to higher and higher incidences of disease.  I think it’s important to note that these studies indicate that more and more sugar and HFCS is making its way into packaged/processed foods, and therefore into our diet.  These studies aren’t saying that people are going out of their way to inhale sugar.  It’s getting harder and harder to avoid it since it’s in everything

Lowering our carb intake when we have diabetes, or are told that we have “pre-diabetes”, is a must and yet the mainstream medical community and diabetes organizations continue to encourage people with type 2 to eat carbohydrates at a level that seems unreasonable.  So who do we believe?  Who do we trust?

We should trust reason.  We should believe in ourselves.  

What do I mean when I say we should trust reason?  Think about it; is it reasonable to live on a diet of fast food, sugary drinks and pre-packaged food?  No.  Is it reasonable to continue to eat bread, cereals and rice when our meters tell us that they spike our blood glucose?  No.  Is it reasonable to eat more leafy vegetables and lean meats?  Yes.  Is it reasonable to pay attention to our glucose meters?  Yes.

There are many debates these days surrounding the government placing limits on unhealthy foods.  I will admit that I was on the “limit the size of sodas” bandwagon when this showed up in the news.  Heck yes, people shouldn’t be drinking vats of soda!  Duh!  However, should the government stick their noses in that?  I’ve finally decided no.  People will not be swayed by legislation that bans them from eating and drinking what they want.  (idiots)

It’s obvious to me that the Standard American Diet is wrong and unhealthy.  I often feel so frustrated and helpless when I realize that changing this way of eating for the masses is going to take a lot of hard work and lil ol me can’t really do much about it. What I can do is change how I eat to a way that makes sense for me.  I need to believe in myself and listen to my body.  I know when I’m eating something that isn’t good for me.  I know how I feel when I fuel my body with good foods.  I need to listen to my body, trust reason and believe in myself.  You should too.  Just be reasonable.

In the end, it really doesn’t matter what causes type 2 diabetes to those of us who already have it; it matters to the millions of people who are at risk.  It’s up to the “powers that be” to figure that out and come up with a plan to turn the ship around.  I have my ideas but no one is going to listen to me.  That doesn’t mean I’m going to stop advocating and doing my part to help people navigate this new lifestyle called diabetes.  I will continue to blog about how I live my life with diabetes in the hopes that someone “out there” will benefit from my experience.  Life with diabetes isn’t easy but it isn’t impossible.  Just be reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.