Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Shoes, a metaphor



My shoes are my shoes.  They aren’t your shoes.  Sometimes they pinch or give me blisters.  Other times I hardly know they’re there.  My shoes have a lining of type 2 diabetes which often makes them too tight.  They bind and are uncomfortable.  They aren’t so bad that I can’t wear them but they can be annoying.  I’m sure that your shoes can be just as difficult.  I can only guess since I’ve never worn your shoes.

Some people’s shoes are lined with type 1 diabetes or cancer or aids or depression or diseases which cause untold pain.  I don’t know what those shoes feel like because I’ve never worn them.  I don’t compare my shoes to other shoes because they aren’t the same.  They are my shoes to wear and no one else’s.

I love the days when I can take off my shoes and wiggle my toes in the sand, forgetting how the shoes sometimes bind.  I would love to see a day when everyone can take off their shoes and enjoy their lives with sandy toes.

Everyone has shoes.  Everyone wears their shoes and deals with the fit.  Some people will think that their shoes are more important or shinier, begging for more attention.  Some might feel that theirs are more of a burden than others.  I can’t judge another’s shoes and don’t attempt to.  Please don’t judge mine, because you’ve never worn them.  They’re my shoes and you can’t know how they feel.


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Kate, and so true. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.