Sunday, December 23, 2012

Channel surfing with diabetes


When I was a young girl we didn’t have remote controls.  We had a tv that had a dial that you turned; no buttons, just knobs.  When you wanted to watch something on the boob tube (my father’s name for it), you looked in the TV Guide, chose your show and turned the dial to the proper channel.  We didn’t surf around looking for something to watch, we picked something and watched it, commercials and all.  We didn’t need over 800 channels to choose from.  Our phones were different too.  They didn’t look like this: 


(I’m not THAT old!) but they did have a dial.  No speed dial, you had to know someone’s complete number!  Don’t get me wrong; I love today’s technology but I sometimes think it causes us to be unfocused and a bit discontent.

Dealing with type 2 diabetes can be that way too.

There is so much advice about how we should be eating.  There are different “diets” and numerous supplements that we hear will help us control our diabetes better.  Just do this and you’re diabetes will reverse!  Eat low carb, eat no carb, eat 60 grams of carbs per meal, but be sure they are “healthier” carbs!  It’s ok to eat sweets, you shouldn’t eat sugar, it’s ok to indulge as long as you can control it!  Eat that extra helping because you can just walk it off!  NO!  You should never eat that again!  Sigh…there are so many channels to choose from, aren’t there?

Sometimes I think way too hard.  Sometimes I over analyze things to the point of inertia.  I bet you do that too.  I think we need to stop looking for the speed dial that will connect us to the best way to deal with our diabetes.  It’s better to look up the number and dial it ourselves.  Throw away your diabetes remote control.  Get up off the couch and turn that dial!  Use your “Diabetes Guide” and look up what will work best for you and dial in on that plan.  Then, stick with that plan and live it.  Don’t use that remote to turn the channel just because you’re bored or want something different.  Be content with what you’re doing and quit thinking about the other options that are out there.  Follow your plan and throw away the remote.  Adjust your plan as needed along the way but quit fretting over whether or not there is something better.  Listen to your meter and live your life, despite diabetes.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a fabulous 2013!




6 comments:

  1. Love this, Kate! Thank you! I'm totally guilty of over-analyzing to the point of paralysis.

    Hope you have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. Thanks for putting it in terms that even I can understand. Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy holidays. That tree looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. Great point - Diabetes is a truly custom disease which is why no one cure of method of treatment works for all. It's also the reason why there are so many meds out there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.