Monday, December 31, 2012

Attention to detail



One of the things that I do when I’m attempting to get back on track with my diabetes management is to test more often.  If you’re like me, then you tend to slack off on testing when your control has been good for a while and/or when you’ve been less than stellar in your food choices.  It’s so easy to avoid testing when I’ve eaten too much of a good thing, when that’s exactly the time I should be testing!  Here’s a prime example of what I’m talking about. (I can’t believe I’m about to admit to this…)

Four days ago I knew that I’d been eating way too many goodies and not paying attention to my glucose.  In fact, other than my fasting readings, I hadn’t been testing at all.  So, in an effort to get a handle on what I was doing to myself, I did a random test in the middle of the afternoon.  177.  Not 177 after eating a meal with more carbs than I should eat, or a 177 because I was ill.  No, a 177 in the freakin middle of the afternoon!  The next day I was afraid to go near my meter, but I girded my loins (what exactly does that mean?  I don’t think I want to know.) and did another mid-afternoon random check.  179.  I didn’t feel so great (big surprise) but I managed to ride my stationary bike for 15 min. then took a short nap.  Tested again:  191.  Yikes!  This had to stop!

I’ve been doing much better in the snacking department over the last couple of days.  This is either due to the fact that I’m pissed at myself and am trying to get back on track…or…it’s because I’ve already eaten all the bad stuff that was in the house.  (I choose the first, since there are still a few bits of chocolate and my beloved pumpkin bread lying around.)  Yesterday I began testing frequently once again.  Testing before I eat gives me a good reminder of how many carbs I can eat.  Testing after shows me if I’m on track or not.  Yesterday:  101 before lunch and 143 1 ½ hours after.  I probably should have limited the amount of toast I ate, but compared to the 179 of the other day, I’ll take it.

I know I can do this because I’ve done it before.  I’m not beating myself up over my “indiscretions” but taking charge and regaining my control.  I feel pretty good about that.  (my post, circles and loops explains how I feel about this subject.)  Another trick that I use in situations like these is to be sure that I’m eating foods that are rich in flavor.  I’m careful to add avocado and tomato to a sandwich or feta cheese to a salad.  I choose foods that taste yummy and that makes it easier to stay on track.

This is in no way a New Year’s resolution because I don’t fall into that trap.  Instead, it’s an opportunity to remember why I do what I do, each and every day, to maintain the best health I can.  I’m in charge and I intend to do everything I can to stay on top.  You can do the same.

http://bluesyemre.com/

4 comments:

  1. Another great post, Kate. I think you're on the right track and are doing the right things. Gathering data and making small improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those meter numbers can sure feel like bad news, but in reality they are information that you used to adjust what wasn't working and start getting back on track!! So good for you!

    For me, I think it's another reason I love my CGM so much - it doesn't let me hide from less than stellar numbers by avoiding a finger stick. Instead it sounds the alarm to make sure I'm not pretending I didn't just eat way too many carbs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. My name is Jennifer and I just discovered your blog today. After reading several entries of yours, I feel so very inspired and I want to thank you for that. I've been a type 2 diabetic for about 7 years now. At first, I took it very seriously and then just kinda let it go....went back to my old eating habits.

    I have a question for you regarding exercise. Does your blood sugar go up after exercising?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, first let me say that your comment has made my day...possibly my week! I'm glad you found my blog and I hope it helps you get back on track.

      Normally my blood sugar goes down, a lot, after I exercise. There are occasions when it goes up, as I described in this post. It's different for everyone (as most things are with diabetes) and it can also depend on when you're exercising and when you've eaten. I exercise in the morning and make sure I've eaten first (since I can drop so much). I am sure to drink lots of water.

      I'm certainly no expert but I do know that exercise is good for your diabetes control in the long run, no matter what happens directly after exercising. Also, you shouldn't exercise if your blood sugar is high but I can't find anywhere that says what "high" is in this instance. As always, you should confirm what you're doing with your doctor and make sure you keep track of your glucose readings.

      Good luck and keep in touch!

      Delete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.