Sunday, November 18, 2012

Overload



I’ve been so busy! October and November have been amazing months for me in my advocacy for diabetes education.  I participated in my first Walk to Stop Diabetes, helped at two health fairs, attended my first diabetes conference and started a support group in my town.  I seem to have been spending an inordinate amount of time researching and reading articles pertaining to diabetes; treatments, research and such.  I began participating in the WEGO Health #NHBPM initiative where health bloggers blog every day in November on specific topics.  I got behind and now I’m mired…and tired.  I think the busyness I’ve been feeling is more mental than physical, although life has gotten busy around here too.  I’ve been running and running and I’m experiencing overload.



I have been living and breathing diabetes more than usual lately and I’m feeling the “burn out”.  I need to slow down.  I seem to have this burning desire to reach out to everyone who has diabetes and somehow make it better for them; make it right.  I know I can’t do that so why am I even trying?  Silly Kate.  I actually do know why I try; because it pisses me off that there are people out there who are diagnosed with T2 and aren’t given adequate information to control their diabetes.  It makes me completely insane that our food supply is corrupt and nothing is being done about it.  Sigh.

I made the tough decision to stop trying to complete the 30 days of blogging.  I’ve done it twice before and I love it, but it’s time to face reality.  You see, with all my advocacy and research and attempt to educate others, I forgot one very important thing: to take care of myself.  I have let my own diabetes control slip and I’m paying the price in higher glucose readings and increased binges.  (They’re small binges but binges none-the-less.)  How ridiculous is that?

I will continue to blog because my mind is full of ideas to write about.  I will continue to move my little support group forward the best I can.  I will continue to communicate with the wonderful people I’ve met in the DOC.  What I need to cease is the relentless pursuit of diabetes information and begin again with my own care.  Sometimes too much of a good thing is anything but good.  It’s time for Kate to slow down and smell the lower carb pumpkin pie.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh you have been busy. I agree that it is so easy to get on the information overload bandwagon. Not everything out there is good either....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Kate on recognizing that you do need to take care of yourself first before you got really run down. It is so hard for us to remember that when we just want to help others. I also get very frustrated that people in my community are living with T2 and not getting the information they need. I am lucky that I worked in healthcare and know where to access information. I, too am trying to get the information out to my community. It is tough!! Keep up the good work while taking care of yourself. I relate very much to your blogs and they have been very helpful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support your decision, Kate! Take care of you, and the rest comes easier!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.