Friday, November 16, 2012

Day 14: Cupcakes and Unicorns



I’ve been out of town and am woefully behind on my #NHBPM posts.  I’m attempting to catch up today.  The prompt for day 14 is: Advice for dealing with negative feedback in your community.

 


The Diabetes Online Community (DOC) is a wonderful place filled with cupcakes and glitter-sprinkled unicorns.  Never is a negative word heard. Well maybe there are some times when people get a tad negative.  The people always get along!  Hmmm, there can be disagreements now and then.  We’re all in the same boat and we always paddle in the same direction! Yeah, well, not exactly.  Ok, ok, the DOC is just like any other community.  We all have something in common (diabetes), we all feel strongly about it and we all have different ways of dealing with it, both mentally and in our care routines.

When you put yourself out there in a blog or make comments in an online forum, it’s ridiculous to think that you will never receive negative feedback.  People are unique in that we have a brain that allows us to think for ourselves.  We develop our own ideas and thoughts about events, politics, religion and health, to name just a few.  If we all thought the same way about things it would certainly make for less strife, but it would be a tad boring, don’t you think?  I think it’s imperative to have an open dialog about our health.  I know that I’ve learned some valuable lessons from things others have said online.  For instance, I found that I am able to modify my diet in ways I never thought possible.  That wouldn’t have happened without reading someone else’s thoughts on that subject, and even though I completely disagreed with them at the time, it planted a seed that eventually grew into something useful to me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Some people are completely rude when sharing their opinions while others are able to have a respectful dialog.  My best advice for dealing with jerks who disagree with you is to let them think what they like.  You don’t have to engage with them and you certainly don’t need to try and change their minds; that’s not going to happen!  Most of all don’t let the turkeys get you down.  Don’t let naysayers and negative nellies keep you from speaking your mind.  Everyone’s ideas and opinions have value and I think it’s healthy for us to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints.  It’s not all cupcakes and unicorns.
 

1 comment:

  1. Yep, well said, Kate! I like to think that everyone works pretty hard to make it a welcoming, loving, and supportive community. But like you said, any large group will have it's disagreements.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.