Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 12: I think not



Call BS on something. What’s something that is just ridiculous?

I wrote a blog post called I Say Bullshit! awhile back and I figured I would just dust it off and repost it for today.  Easy peasy!  However, when I read over the post this morning I realized that it wouldn’t work.  You see, I wrote that post when I was sick and tired of having diabetes and the way people with type 2 diabetes are portrayed in the media and how we are often “blamed” for developing our disease.  Even though I still feel passionately about that subject, I’m much more laid back and not so militant today.  (I may need more coffee.)  Instead I’d like to focus on “miracle cures”.

It’s possible that lots of diseases and conditions are bombarded with miracle cures; I don’t know since my focus is on diabetes.  PWD are constantly being told that it’s a piece of cake to get rid of their diabetes.  It’s simple!  Just sprinkle cinnamon on everything, swallow spoonfuls of vinegar and drink this tea/take this supplement/stand on your head!  Sigh.

This is a subject that makes me cranky, not only because it gives people false hope, but also because of the money people are wasting on this crap.  If you have been handed a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and are told that you need to change your lifestyle and drop some pounds, wouldn’t you be enticed by something that sounds so simple?  Hawkers of such drivel should be jailed.

The truth is folks, that there isn’t a cure for diabetes…yet.  You need to remember that it likely took you years to develop your diabetes.  What makes you think that it would be that simple to get rid of it?  You can’t.  What you can do is to make some positive changes to your lifestyle so you can control your diabetes to the best of your ability.  It ain’t easy, but it’s possible to do it.  Have a little faith in yourself!  Put a little work into making sure that you will live a longer, healthier life!  You’re worth it!

Go ahead and sprinkle some cinnamon on something you’re eating because it tastes good.  Use that vinegar to make some yummy salad dressing or dye those eggs with your kids.  Make a cup of tea when you’re feeling frazzled and need to calm down.  But please don’t fall into the trap of thinking that there is an easy way to “get rid” of your diabetes. 

As I said, it took us many years to develop our diabetes.  If you are pre-disposed to developing diabetes, eating an unhealthy diet will slowly cause your cells to become insulin resistant.  Your pancreas will pump out more and more insulin to compensate and eventually poop out. (By the way, all that insulin in your system helps to make you fatter!) Do you seriously think that consuming some cinnamon will reverse all that?  I think not.

2 comments:

  1. You are a very talented writer and I'm sure the other PWD appreciate the information you pass on. After having exposure in a national magazine and this blog, I think you should write a book. And by the way, glad to see you got the job at WUSD. Just what you needed. Hope you enjoy it!
    From your old and hopefully sometimes interesting friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! It took me awhile to figure out who this is but I got it...interesting, indeed! :) Thank you, dear friend, for your kind words. (tomorrow is my first day in the office. Here's hoping I survive and manage to keep from strangling someone. )

      Delete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.