Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 1: Why I write about my health



This month I’ll be participating in Wego Health’s month-long National Health Blog Post Month.  It’s cool that this event coincides with National Diabetes Month which includes World Diabetes Day (Nov. 14th).  There are LOTS of activities revolving around diabetes this month. Each day I will be blogging on a specific topic along with scads of other health bloggers.  If you’d care to read other great blogs about health (not just diabetes), then you can find them on Twitter with the #NHBPM hashtag and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/343291119099647/.


Today’s topic is “Why I write about my health”.  Some people may think that it’s not a good idea to “tell the world” about our health issues, (believe me, “the world” is NOT reading my blog.) but I’ve never been shy about telling people that I have diabetes.  If you’ve read my blog then you know that I started all this as a way to help myself.  Along the way, an amazing thing happened: I began to care about spreading knowledge, dispelling myths and helping others who have diabetes.

Diabetes, no matter the type, is confusing, frustrating, changeable and irritating; and that’s on a good day!  There are far too many people out there who are trying to deal with this frickin disease and I want to do what I can to help.  That’s not to say that I know it all.  HA!  It’s funny to think that anyone knows it all.  The thing about diabetes is that it is so personalized.  Each of us reacts differently to foods, medication and exercise so there isn’t just one way for us to control our diabetes (enter the confusion and frustration).  I blog about things that work for me or ideas that I’ve read about that I think are interesting.  Sometimes I whine and complain and other times I rally the troops to do better.  It helps to know that we are not alone with diabetes.  No one should have to deal with their diabetes alone.  I hope that what I write helps someone get through, even if it's just one day.  I wish there were more of us who wrote about life with diabetes.

3 comments:

  1. Found your blog by doing a google search of type 2 diabetes and blogs.
    I am a private person and originally didn't tell many people I am diabetic but eventually I had to when my routines changed. I would have tea or coffee out with friends but forgo the cookie/brownie/date square. I would ask for a glass of water if they were serving pop.
    I love to cook and don't miss sweets but have a hard time giving up muffins and cutting back on bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel! Bread was my favorite thing and I've really struggled with letting it go...but I did it and so can you! I found that the more I cut out, the easier it was to not eat it. In other words, I slowly weaned myself. I still eat bread now and then but it is rare. I have found some replacement foods like pancakes made with almond flour and muffins too. It feels as if I'm eating bread but the lack of wheat makes things easier on my glucose. Hang in there, dear anonymous, you can do this, and be very proud of the changes you've already made.

      Delete
  2. What I do is to walk to my work every day to control my sugar level. This is on top of my medication which I'm religiously taking. By the way, I happen to be PWD, Type 2

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.