Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Exercise: My Journey



Picture this: a polyester running suit in emerald green with a wide, white stripe down the side of each leg.  Don’t hate me because I have style. I was 22 years old and that was a present that my husband gave to me.  It was his not-in-the-least-bit subtle hint that I needed to lose weight.  You see, I’d had a baby about 6 months previously and it was about damn time that I got back into shape! (Let me insert here that I would die to be that “fat” right now!)  He had decided that I should start jogging to lose weight.  I hate jogging so you can imagine how excited I was at the prospect.  He said that he would stay with the baby so I could take the dog out for a run. Bless him. My “revenge” was that I would run for about a block and then walk to the park where I sat on a swing and let the dog run around.  Then, on the way home, I would run for the last 2 blocks so I’d be winded upon my return.  Ha!  I showed him!! I’m an awful person for lying to him like that, but I never asked him to force me to run!  I still don’t like to run.

There was a period of time when I was in love with an exercise machine.  It’s called a Cardioglide and it reminds me of a cross between a stationary bike and a rowing machine…sort of.  It was my best friend and I think I was truly addicted to it.  That’s a good thing, right?  It was a good thing while it lasted, however like many romances, it waned after a time.  It went from being my best friend to the best darn clothes rack of all time!

Over the years, I’ve toyed with the idea of joining exercise classes, water aerobics at the local pool, even yoga but I never followed through.  I’ve entered into agreements with good friends to walk together every day.  Ok, well maybe 3 times a week.  How about we meet for a walk next week?  What?  You have an appointment that day?  Ok, we’ll get back to that soon, I promise.

As you have probably gathered by now, I suck at committing to regular exercise, which makes it difficult for me to understand why, now, I am loving our treadmill.  I am rocking the regular exercise like I’m a reincarnation of Jack Lalanne!  I freakin’ own regular exercise!  Who is this woman?

I think my new commitment to regular exercise comes from a perfect storm of enough time (I’m retired), access to a good piece of equipment (this treadmill is awesome!) and diabetes.  Yes, thank you diabetes for finally showing me the light.  I realize that I would most likely still suck at regular exercise if it wasn’t for my diabetes.  I have a new focus now.  I know that if I don’t pay attention to what I’m eating (and how much) and get regular exercise, then diabetes will win.  I can’t let that happen.

Sometimes I beat myself up for not figuring this out years ago.  Sometimes I want to drive around town with a megaphone spouting my new-found religion so that everyone will see the light and make positive changes to their lifestyle before it’s too late!  Yeah right Kate.  The reality is that people have to figure these things out for themselves.  People need to find their own motivation.  I truly hope that diabetes doesn’t become that motivation.  My wish is that something happens in our society to turn this diabetes-in-our-future ship around.  I’m doing my part by doing my best to be an example.  Are you?

8 comments:

  1. I hate exercise, too. But, since the Type 2 diagnosis, I am doing it most days. Have lost almost 10 pounds, too! I am not retired, homeschooling four boys ages 8-14, so it takes away from something I'd rather be doing (like, anything!). I like my treadmill, but I am really enjoying the wii fit, and some workout dvds. Getting Richard Simmons Sweating To Disco from Amazon today....life will never be the same. And yeah, it does stink that it took diabetes to get me regular in an exercise routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Paula!! I remember the days of working and taking care of my 4 kids. It never seems to leave time for exercise. You should be proud that you're doing this for yourself. I don't have a wii but one of my sons does and my grandsons like dancing to something called Dance Party, I think that's the name.

      However we get our movement in, it just needs to happen! Congrats on the weight loss too.

      Delete
  2. Diabetes or no diabetes, I seriously think we need to get moving. But I totally agree that it takes a strong will to exercise giving all those never ending duties that surround us. Proud as a bird, I run 3x a week. I feel strong, energetic and motivated to live with diabetes.

    I was hoping for someone to guide me about actos lawsuit. Looks like they're on the lime light again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Tim! Way to rock the exercise. As for the Actos situation, I don't know much personally but you might check out this website: http://www.drugwatch.com/

      Delete
  3. Hi Kate,

    I may be diagnosed with it, and I am scared to death. I don't want to die before i'm 60 from a heart attack or something. It's got me so stressed out and I don't even know for sure yet. When they took my blood last sunday, it was 200 something, and then later on it was 170 something, so i'm scared to death I am definately diabetic. I don't know what to do.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stalina, my first comment to you is...breathe! Being diagnosed with diabetes doesn't necessarily mean that you will die younger than most and it doesn't mean that you will definitely develop all the scary complications that you hear about. The first step is to educate yourself. If you do indeed have diabetes then you will need to make some changes to your lifestyle but those changes don't all have to be made at once. Pick one thing to change and work on that. Then pick something else. You can do this!! Controlling your diabetes will give you the edge you need against future complications. I hope you are able to see an informed diabetes educator. good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions! I'm not a medical professional but maybe I can point you in the right direction.

      Delete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.