Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My Best Advocacy Day…Ever!



I never started out to be an advocate for people with diabetes and yet here I am.  I truly enjoy writing things here on my blog that I hope will help someone…anyone.  I enjoy connecting on Facebook and Twitter with other people with diabetes.  I like being able to help someone figure out what’s going on with their D on forums.  I love it when someone leaves a comment saying that something I’ve written has helped; that they appreciate what I’m doing.  However, I have never had any “in real life” chances to advocate. I have plans to change that but living in a small town makes it difficult to really connect with anyone else who has diabetes…until today.

Do you remember high school?  I do but it’s been so long ago that it’s a wee bit vague.  I do remember coming home from school and getting on the phone to talk to my friend for 2-3 hours, even though we had just seen each other all day.  It used to drive my mom nuts!  (tee hee).  I had some great friends in high school and 2 of them still live here in town.  There were 4 of us who did most everything together, including getting into trouble but we aren’t going to talk about that.  The 3 of us who are still here rarely see each other, and yet when we do get together it’s like no time has passed at all.  They’re those kinds of friends.

One of those friends has type 2 diabetes.  I have known that for a while but we never really talked about it.  We ran into each other a few weeks back at the grocery store and she told me that her D had been out of control.  I SO wanted to give her tons of advice but felt as if it wasn’t my place.  I did encourage her to make an appointment to see a doctor.  Guess what!  She did it!  Long story short, (too late…sorry) we spoke on the phone today and it was so encouraging.  The very day that I suggested she see a doctor, she called and made an appointment.  Things are better now because she got hooked up with someone who actually understands diabetes but she’s still confused and frustrated.  She told me that she reads my blog (hi!!) and that my words help.  On the phone I helped her to understand how her blood sugar could go up so much when she hadn’t even eaten!  (Liver dump…she didn’t know.)  I suggested not going more than 5 hours without eating something, even a small snack.  I cannot quite explain how wonderful I felt after we hung up the phone.  I cannot adequately convey the warm fuzzies I’ve continued to feel all afternoon.  I think that phone conversation did more for me than it did for her.

Today I helped someone; someone I know and care about.  I truly love the idea that my words might help people “out there”, but the idea that I have helped my dear friend makes me feel on top of the world.  For. The. Win!!!

10 comments:

  1. I understand exactly where you are coming from. Last night I had a chance to sit down and explain all kinds of stuff - from what CARBS are, even - to the caretaker of a newly-diagnosed Type 2. Doctor had told them nothing, just to cut out the desserts. It feels good to share what I have learned and help empower someone else to manage their diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it feel good? Way to go, Paula. I am appalled at the lack of education being offered to people who have type 2, and some of the education they do receive isn't the best. Something should be done!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate!
    You can add another person to your list of "just helped". I am brand new to this whole D thing and today I was feeling a bit anxious/depressed so I haven't had much of an appetite. Needless to say, my bg has trended higher today, until I finally forced myself to eat some scrambled eggs. Then guess what, after one hour my level had not even budged. Thanks to the advice you gave your friend about eating something every 5 hours you have also helped me to learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sherri! Well, great that you discovered a new way to help your D; not so great that you're having to deal with D at all. Sorry for the diagnosis but I'm glad you're out here on the web looking for answers. It feels pretty good to hear that I've helped you even in a small way. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Kate,

    Good for you. I tell just about everyone I know if I can work it in that I was a type 2 diabetic and controlled with with diet and exercise. The sad part is how many who tell me that they too are t2d. It can be done for so many of us who were "pudgy" diabetics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be done! Keep on swimmin... (I watch far too many kid's movies.)

      Delete
    2. More like bike riding for me, but if swimmin' is your exercise of choice, go with it.

      Delete
  4. Yay, I'm so proud of you!!! I know you are helping many many more people than you realize - but how great to know you've actually helped someone who is a close friend. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, and there's more to come! I just met with someone today who is helping me to get our local support group meeting started again! I hope to have our first meeting within a month. YES!!!

      Delete
  5. Kate,

    Very nice job. You are helping so many folks as they battle diabetes. You have the heart to help, which is so great to see, and those that you reach out to personally, or through your blog, feel your warmth and caring!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.