Friday, September 7, 2012

Blame it on the ‘betes



When I’m feeling shaky, I blame it on the ‘betes.

When I’m feeling sleepy, I blame it on the ‘betes.

When I’m grumpy, I blame it on the ‘betes.

When I’m confused or have trouble concentrating, I blame it on the ‘betes.

My bank account’s a little low, must be the ‘betes fault.

My toe hurts, the car won’t start, I have a headache, there’s this weird pain in my side, my house is cluttered…blankety-blank ‘betes!! 

Wait, what?  It’s diabetes’ fault because I’m a lousy housekeeper?  Maybe my toe hurts because I just kicked the sofa leg.  Maybe my bank account’s low because I went shopping for new clothes.  Just maybe I’m shaky because my thyroid meds need to be adjusted.

I don’t know about you, but all too often I tend to blame diabetes for all the woes in my life.  It’s easy to do, isn’t it?  I mean, come on, this uninvited guest has taken up residence in my life and it just seems like every time something “bad” happens it gets blamed on the ‘betes.

I’ve often read posts in D forums where people will ask if some bizarre symptom they are experiencing could be caused my diabetes, when the reality is that it’s probably something completely unrelated.

Blaming everything on diabetes is giving it too much power.  Yes, diabetes sucks but it isn’t the ever-present evil in our lives; at least it shouldn’t be.  Stuff happens each and every day.  Some of it’s bad.  Some of it’s good.  Paying attention to our diabetes is important but don’t make the mistake of giving diabetes too much power.  Keep it in its place where it belongs.  That’s sometimes easier said than done but it is an important step toward living a good life despite diabetes.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent advice. I was just diagnosed the end of July with Type 2, and I feel like I lost my entire month of August to D. Granted, I needed to take the time to learn about D, to find out how to manage it, to get educated, and it was time-consuming. But I am ready to have thoughts about other topics for a while. I feel like it is my obsession. I guess it is probably like that for a lot of people when they are newly-diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that Paula. 7 years later and I'm still somewhat obsessed. :) It's a good obsession though because I learn new things all the time. It seems like my over-attention to diabetes comes in waves and when the tide goes out I can relax and enjoy other stuff. It's all good.

      Delete
  2. I've been living with D for a little over a year now. It was a shock when the doctor told me. It caused a bit of a depression because I was told the news while I was on a 'diet' and exercise program. I figured, why the hell am I working out? Long story short. I have a two year old son that I want to see group and meet my grand kids (as long as the Myans were wrong;-)) I have changed my lifestyle, wasn't easy and I still slip up, but I am doing well. Losing weight, ever so slowly, and becoming more active. I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, do I hear you! So many of us have the same stories, don't we? I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. Losing weight slowly is the best way to do it, in my opinion. You're more apt to keep it off that way. Keep up the good work, I think the Mayans were wrong. ;)

      Thanks for letting me know that you like my blog. Such nice words make this all the more rewarding. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Hi – Will you please post a link to your important Blog at The Type 2 Diabetes Community at vorts.com? Our members will really appreciate it.
    Members include: Those living with Type 2 Diabetes, their families, friends, experts and support groups.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Articles, Photos, and Videos if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you. I hope you consider sharing with us.
    The Type 2 Diabetes Community: http://www.vorts.com/type_2_diabetes/
    Thanks,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.