Friday, August 3, 2012

Revamped Recipes


I apologize for the wonky margins in this post but adding all the links caused havoc and I'm too lazy to figure out why.

I’m fond of taking recipes and tweaking them to either make them healthier or fit better into our tastes.  Since I have been eating very low carb for the last couple of months I decided to look at a couple of my favorite recipes and see if I couldn’t make them friendlier to my new carb levels.  I’ve had some success so I thought I’d share with you.

I’ve written before about my love for this quiche recipe that was originally posted by Kim at Texting my Pancreas.  I have made some changes to this recipe as follows:

·       In order to make it lower in carbs I eliminated the crust all together.  If you spray your pie plate with cooking spray, it doesn’t stick and comes out just fine.
·       I use roughly 1/3 cup bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon and crumbling it.
·       I use 2% sharp cheddar cheese.
·       I replaced the low-fat milk with unsweetened almond milk. (also lowers the carbs)
·       I add spinach.  You can use fresh spinach leaves or frozen chopped spinach that you thaw (be sure to squeeze out the water!)

This remains one of my favorite recipes.  Thanks Kim!

Almond-crusted chicken

I found a recipe for Almond-crusted Chicken on Yahoo and tweaked it like this:


·       I replaced the panko bread crumbs with ½ cup of almond flour.
·       I baked it in the oven for 45 min – 1 hour at 350 degrees instead of pan-frying it.

I used the buttermilk, egg, chopped almonds and rosemary as directed and skipped the rest.  This chicken was good!  It was very moist and tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside.  The only “downside” to this is that almond flour is freakin expensive! However, I’ve decided that the lower carbs are definitely worth it.

Speaking of almond flour…A woman named Jeanne Wagner on the Diabetes Daily website forums posted a recipe for low carb pancakes.  I made them and really enjoyed having a “bready” breakfast for a change with hardly any affect on my blood glucose.  I did tweak it slightly.  This recipe makes roughly 6 pancakes.  Jeanne says she makes a lot and keeps them in the fridge.
 
2 eggs, 4T unsweetened almond milk, 1T vanilla extract, 1T Davinci syrup (any flavor), 1 cup almond flour, 1/8 tsp salt, ½ cup ground flaxseed, 1/8 tsp baking soda.  Mix everything together.  Spray your griddle/pan with cooking spray.  They do take longer to brown than conventional pancakes.

When I made these I decided that this would also make great muffins, so I tried them today.  It worked!  I used the same ingredients and measurements, adding about ½ cup of walnuts.  I baked them at 400 degrees for approx.. 12 min. and it made 8 muffins.  The neat thing about making them into muffins is you can add whatever you like and make them different.  They would be really good with cinnamon and raisins, or berries, or whatever sounds good to you.  They remind me of bran muffins, but without all the sugar and stuff.  Only 5 carbs per muffin as listed.

I wrote here about my love for this Peanut Butter Pie.  It’s too good. (original recipe) I decided to try to lower the carbs and I’m not convinced it was successful.  There is a slight “bitter” taste and I can’t decide if it’s coming from the Stevia or the type of peanut butter I used.  I’m gonna share it here anyway and you can decide for yourself.  Here is how I tweaked it further:

Low Carb Peanut Butter Pie

8 oz. cream cheese (I used the 1/3 less fat variety)
1 cup Peanut butter (I use crunchy).  It should be the no sugar added variety.
1 cup unsweetened almond milk.
½-3/4 cup sweetener (I used Stevia but Splenda would work)
Mix it all together with a mixer until well blended.  Put into ½ cup plastic containers w/lids and freeze.  Makes 7 servings. approx 10 carbs per serving.

Bon Apetit!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.