Sunday, July 22, 2012

Camping with D


Ray and I love to camp and this year we were forced to wait until the middle of July before we could head out.  (Drought and fire restrictions).  We enjoy dispersed camping (No campgrounds.  No facilities.)  Just the two of us and our tent…and our air mattress…and kitchen stuff…and…water…and…Phew!  Makes you wonder why we go to so much trouble to go camping!  I can tell you why: it is heaven.

Last year I wrote a blog post about camping and I found it interesting to read it and compare it to this year’s experience.  So much is the same but there are distinct differences.
 
My do’s and don’ts still hold up well but I noticed that my food choices have changed slightly.  My breakfast burritos no longer contain potatoes, I don’t eat crackers and sandwiches weren’t on my menu (although I hope they will make a return soon.)  What did I eat?  Yummy chicken on the barbie (that seems to be our standard), cole slaw, mini sweet peppers, mixed nuts, string cheese, egg scramble as described in the other post, sans potatoes.  In other words, I ate well.

Just as I experienced last year, my fasting readings were wonderful.



At home this morning I was greeted with this:


Sigh.  I’m not saying that 117 is bad (%#$@@ number!), but it’s frustrating that I rarely see anything below 100 here at home.  When I thought about why I came up with this: 

  • I snack more at home in the evenings than I did while out camping (that campfire is mesmerizing!).  Even though the snacks are healthy, I think I overeat.  Portion control is essential!
  • I am sooooo relaxed while out in the woods.  Last night I noticed that while we were watching tv I was messing with my eye pod (that word game is addicting!) and texting with my daughter.  I wasn’t just sitting there and enjoying the moment like I did while camping.
  • When I’m camping, I’m not thinking about all the shtuff I should be doing like I do when I’m at home.  I’m just living in the moment.
I’m going to try to focus on those things to see if I can make a difference in my fasting numbers, naturally.  Less snacking in the evening, campfire in the living room relax and live in the moment.  Those are all good bits of advice.
No matter how you enjoy your summer, whether it’s camping in a trailer or in a tent, time spent at the beach or hiking in the mountains, it’s important to remember that we need to pay attention to our diabetes but it doesn’t have to ruin the fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.