Wednesday, May 16, 2012

You Can Do Better Than That!



Yesterday we gave ourselves and our loved ones a big pat on the back for one thing we are great at.  Today let’s look at the flip-side.  We probably all have one thing we could try to do better.  Why not make today the day we start working on it.  No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on!

Just one thing?  This is going to be difficult.  Hmmmm.  Ok, my mind just ran through all the things we PWD do every day to control our diabetes and, frankly, I could do them all better!  I bet you could say the same thing.  There is no such thing as the perfect diabetic so at one time or another we could all do something better.  I did think of one thing I suck at more often than not: I’m too hard on myself.

Those days when I give in to something that isn’t really on my plan; a bit of dessert or a splurge at lunch with friends or a little more couscous than I should have.  The recrimination follows.  “Why did I just eat that?  I know better.  Now I’ll have to face it on the meter later.  GAH!!”  What I’ve just done in those situations is completely remove the enjoyment of that bite of dessert or lunch with my friends.  My focus should be on people and life, not grams of carbs.  Yes, I know that I have to pay attention to what/how much I’m eating but it’s ok to go off the path now and then.  I am too hard on myself.

Then there are those days when I do really well at watching what I eat and staying active.  Those days when I remember my meds on time and drink lots of water, and despite being “perfect” I may see a higher number on my meter.  I can get really down.  I can go from happy to bummed in less than 60 seconds.  Just call me the Ferrari of diabetes.  I ask you (well I ask me), what’s the point?  Does being depressed make my blood glucose suddenly lower?  No.  Does moping around and feeling sorry for myself mean I will no longer have to deal with diabetes?  I wish.  I know why I get down.  I know what causes me to be bummed.  It’s the relentlessness of diabetes and we all feel that.  However, I need to get better at bringing myself out of those slumps.  I need to remember that I’m doing all I can and a great job!  No, I’m not perfect, but I have moments of perfection.

Today, if I could improve one thing about my dealings with diabetes, it would be to have a better attitude; to live my life first and find ways to deal with my diabetes second.  I’m not talking about putting my diabetes on a shelf and ignoring it, I’m talking about not letting it rule my days to the point that I don’t live my life.

Today I will smile at my meter despite what it tells me.  Even if the little bugger shows me something higher than I’d like, it is helping me by giving me the information I need to move forward.  It’s a tool, not a judgment.  Remember that Kate.

4 comments:

  1. I agree totally! This is very similar to my dblog post for today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds! I've already read a couple of other posts that are along this line. I think we, as a community, are way too hard on ourselves.

      Delete
  2. I was at a diabetes conference a few years ago and the speaker had a good phrase for dealing with that feeling - "Don't ask why, but what now?" It's not like you can go back and change the number anyway, right? We need to get better at putting those numbers back in their place and just moving on with the better information!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.