Friday, May 18, 2012

What They Should Know


“What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn’t have diabetes about living with diabetes?”.  Let’s do a little advocating and post what we wish people knew about diabetes.  Have more than one thing you wish people knew?  Go ahead and tell us everything.

Where to begin?  There are so many myths and misinformation in the mainstream about diabetes that educating people feels like an uphill battle.  In April I decided to try a little experiment and wrote this blog post.  I posted a link to it on my Facebook page in the hopes that people without diabetes would read it and learn something.  Then, hopefully, they shared it on their page and spread the word.  I have no idea if it worked.  I do know that the post had more hits than I usually have.  If only one person learned something then it was a success!

This Dblog Week prompt gives all of us in the DOC another opportunity to enlighten the masses!  I plan to post a link on Facebook to the DBlog linky page for all the wonderful posts I anticipate today.  What a cool opportunity to tell the world how we feel!!

Digression seems to be my path today.  Sorry, on to what I’d like people to know.

I have type 2 diabetes and the one misconception that gets under my skin most often is that we “did this to ourselves”.  I’m sooooo tired of reading in the media some story about diabetes and then seeing the mean-spirited comments after the story.  You know what I’m talking about, the ones where it’s said that “well of course they have diabetes because they are all fat, lazy slobs!”  <shudder>  

Speaking of the media, they certainly don’t help!  They get it wrong more times than not.  They confuse T1 and T2, they perpetuate the myths by linking the increase in diabetes to obesity.  Yes, there is a link, but obesity doesn’t cause diabetes!  How about focusing on healthier lifestyle and improving the quality our food sources?  How about some regulation of “nutrition” in restaurant foods, even if it’s just that they are required to reveal said “nutrition”?  Why don’t we downsize a bit instead of always upsizing?  How about we stop pointing fingers and blaming people for their condition and focus more on how we can help them become healthier and live longer lives with diabetes?  Wouldn’t that be lovely?

Now I’m off to read what my fellow PWD had to say about this topic.  Interested in reading them too?  Here’s a link.

1 comment:

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.