Tuesday, May 15, 2012

One Great Thing



Living with diabetes (or caring for someone who lives with it) sure does take a lot of work, and it’s easy to be hard on ourselves if we aren’t “perfect”.  But today it’s time to give ourselves some much deserved credit.  Tell us about just one diabetes thing you (or your loved one) does spectacularly!  Fasting blood sugar checks, oral meds sorted and ready, something always on hand to treat a low, or anything that you do for diabetes.  Nothing is too big or too small to celebrate doing well!

I’ve been a bit hard on myself just recently.  I’ve been doing a good job of staying on track with my “plan” but I still get down when things don’t go as well as I’d like. (Don’t we all?)  So, today it’s nice to focus on something I’ve been doing very well.  (Thanks Karen!)

Exercise.  I have been nailing regular exercise.  Anyone who has known me for a long time could attest to the fact that I’ve never really been an “exerciser”.  I’ve tried, many times, to get into an exercise routine but it just never stuck. 

I’ve blogged a lot about exercise.  In fact, just recently I posted this which explains fairly well my thoughts on why I’ve been able to exercise regularly.  Back in November I posted this that talks about how, during the Big Blue Test, I first realized how much difference exercise can make in my glucose control.  Heck, even way back last summer I was blogging about exercise here.  (and hopefully soon my words will appear elsewhere, and that first post is also about exercise.  SO excited!) It’s definitely been on my mind but that doesn’t mean I’ve been doing a good job of actually doing it on a regular basis….until recently.

I’m proud to say that I now exercise on a regular basis.  I don’t dread it, I just do it!  This amazes even me.  I’m slowly losing some weight and some of my clothes are actually too big!  I have better glucose control.  All in all, adding regular exercise to my life has been a huge plus and I’m proud to say that I’ve done that.  Kate, take a bow.


4 comments:

  1. That's awesome about getting on track with exercising... I wish I could say the same. I love to play sports, but find running for the sake of running boring. Not to mention it's hard to find the time to do it! What time of day do you usually work out?

    Anyway... Congrats on the weight loss and better control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! I usually power walk on our treadmill around 10 AM every day. I will also add something else during the day like heavy yard work or a hike in the woods or another round of power walking (I'm becoming addicted!) I know that I'm lucky to have the time to exercise. I sucked at it when I had young kids so I get that finding time to exercise isn't easy.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the regular exercise, Kate! I can totally relate, as I recently started group (YIKES) exercise. And I actually like it. Great to be connected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Jane! I live in such a small, rural town which means my chances to join any type of group are slim. I'm stuck being a "loner". I'm glad to hear that you're working on this exercise thing too!

      Delete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.