Sunday, May 20, 2012

Heroes



Let’s end our week on a high note and blog about our “Diabetes Hero”.  It can be anyone you’d like to recognize or admire, someone you know personally or not, someone with diabetes or maybe a Type 3.  It might be a fabulous endo or CDE.  It could be a d-celebrity or role-model.  It could be another DOC member.  It’s up to you – who is your Diabetes Hero??

We’re all heroes!  There, that was an easy post.  Ok, fine, I’ll write some more.

There are so many people in the DOC that I’ve “met” whom I admire.  That fact makes it difficult to choose just one person to point out.  I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Karen for putting together yet another awesome Dblog week.  This week has been so much fun.  I’d also like to give a shout out to two fellow T2s who blog whom I admire for their tenacity, humor and encouragement to others.  They are Mike and Bob. 
(They are in no way the only two T2s that I admire but I can’t possibly list them all.)

Now I’d like to tell you about the heroes I want to shed light on today; parents of children with diabetes.  I’ve raised 4 wonderful children of my own and I’m watching one of my sons raise his 4 boys.  I know how much work it can be when they are all healthy.  I cannot imagine the heartache and anxiety that comes with such a difficult diagnosis.  The hours spent calculating and testing and adjusting insulin, not to mention the worry when having to send their dear children out into the world alone hoping that someone else will take good care of them.  I’ve read about the sleepless nights and trips to the hospital.  All of these things make them heroes in my eyes, but the best thing about what they do is that they do it while teaching their children that they aren’t different, that they can do whatever they want as long as they pay attention to their health.  They aren’t sick, they are special.  The level of commitment and determination that these parents have is heroic to me.

This is my salute to all the parents of children with diabetes.  I admire you.  I support you.  I think your children, all of them, are so lucky to have you as parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.