Sunday, April 8, 2012

We All Talk to Ourselves, Right?



Today’s prompt asks us to write our best conversation of the week, in dialog style.  I thought back over my week’s conversations and I had some great ones.  I talked with my kids about “stuff”, I met with girlfriends for lunch and we had a great time catching up, and Ray and I solved all the problems of the world, at least 3 times.  However, I didn’t really have any great conversations about diabetes, and this is a blog about the D as it relates to my life, right?  I realized that I often have great conversations about diabetes…..with myself.  There are some interesting conversations going on in my head at any given time.  We all talk to ourselves, right?  Don’t we?  (Please say yes or I’ll have to give some serious thought to therapy.)  So today I’ll be writing down one of those conversations that I had with the inner Kate (try imagining the inner Kate’s voice sounding like Hal in 2001, A Space Odyssey).

“Blankety-blank fricken diabetes!!!”

“What’s wrong, Kate?”

“Well, I had such an amazing fasting reading this morning (98) and then everything fell apart!  I just wanted to have one of those really good days.”

“Let’s think about what might have caused this decline, shall we?”

“Do we have to?”

“Only if you want to learn from it and move on.  It’s your choice.”

“Ok, whatever.” (Kate can be so immature sometimes.)

“So what happened today?”

“I had a dentist appointment at 9:30 for a filling.  I try so hard not to get stressed about that but I do anyway.  Then, after sitting there waiting for 30 minutes, they told me they had an emergency and they needed to reschedule my appointment.  Now I have it hanging over my head for another week and a half.”

“Stress can cause blood sugar to rise, you know.”

“True.”

“What else happened?”

“I realized in the late afternoon that I hadn’t taken my morning meds.  It was too close to dinner to take them.  That always pisses me off!”

“Does getting angry about that help?”

“Just shut up.”

“I can’t do that, Kate.”

“Whatever.  I checked my glucose before dinner and it was 145!  I had cooked my yummy green chili chicken enchilada casserole and realized that I really shouldn’t eat that with my glucose already too high.”

“What did you eat instead?”

“I made an omelet.”

“Did you enjoy it, Kate?”

“Yeah, it was good but it sure wasn’t chicken enchiladas.”

“You’re pouting again, Kate. You should be proud of yourself for making such a good decision!”

“I guess so.  My glucose was only 104 two hours after I ate dinner.  That’s pretty good.  Hey, I’m starting to feel better!”

“That’s good, Kate. Let’s think about the day again, you started out very good, had an unforeseen issue that caused you stress, you forgot your meds but you ended the day by making a good decision.  I’d say that makes it a good day with diabetes, wouldn’t you?”

“I guess you’re right.  It wasn’t so bad after all.  Hey, Kate-who-sounds-like-Hal, you’re not so bad!  Thanks for talking me through this.  Sometimes I just want to give up, you know?”

“I’m sorry Kate.  I can’t let you do that.”

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

4 comments:

  1. OMG!! too funny! i have conversations with myself all the time! glad your day ended on a good/positive note. it's never easy when stress enters the picture.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post, but I'm too distracted to comment more meaningfully. Omelet with green chile sauce on top? Mmmmmmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post before I read all of it because you included a movie reference to one of my favorites - then while reading it I realized that your inner kate probably is as much as a pain in the arse and a saving grace as my inner Tina. Thank you for the laughs and validation that I may have many shades of crazy but having an inner dialog with myself is not one of them. cheers friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your inner conversation - that Kate sure knows her stuff and I'm so glad she gave you credit for your good choices. And yes, I have conversations with myself too. Even worse, I have conversations with my cat (we see eye-to-eye on a lot of stuff - LOL)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.