Sunday, April 15, 2012

That’s Just Not My Style



Writing with Style. What’s your writing style? Do words just flow from your mind to your fingertips? Do you like handwriting first? Do you plan your posts? Title first or last? Where do you write best?

Style?  I’m supposed to have a style?  Dang, I must have missed that memo.  Ok…let’s see….style.  I know we’re not talking about this type of style, but when I think of that word my mind conjures up runways with anorexic-looking models wearing ridiculous outfits.  (On what planet do those designers live?)  That’s definitely not my style.  

 
FRANCOIS GUILLOT/AFP/Getty Images; ALEXANDER KLEIN/AFP/Getty Images

When thinking about writing, do I have a style?

Style never entered my mind when I began blogging just over a year ago.  My focus was on diabetes, and it still is.  When I write I imagine that I’m talking to someone, often myself.  I try to tell a story so that the reader will be engaged enough to actually read it and get something out of what I have to say.  Sometimes I try to add humor (I probably fail), sometimes I am attempting to provide some type of information but mostly I just have ideas that I want to share.  Style or no style, I just put it out there.

I have never taken a writing class, other than whatever I was forced to learn in high school.  I have always wanted to take a writing course but never found the time and money together.  What college I did attend always ended up being focused on my job, just boring business classes.  Now that I’m retired, I suppose I could take a writing class….someday.  Therefore, I’m certain that my writing might make the more educated readers cringe.  My response to that?  (I know that’s an incomplete sentence.  See, I do know some things.)  Deal with it!  I am what I am and I write how I write.  My focus isn’t on cranking out the best written, most accurately concocted bunch of words; it’s about reaching out to others who have diabetes, like me.  It’s about sharing my thoughts, feelings, research and best practices in the hopes that someone else will benefit.  Is that style?  I hope so.

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

3 comments:

  1. i love your blog, and i love your "style". it's honest, and comes from the heart!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.