Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Superpower Day



HAWMC Day 3: If you had a superpower – what would it be? How would you use it?

I would dearly love to say that, if given a choice of superpowers, I’d pick one that would improve the world.  I wish I would pick something that I could use to make life better for everyone.  However, today I’m feeling a wee bit selfish.  Today I would pick something just for me.

I have this theory that when something bad in the world is completely removed, there is something else just as bad that comes to take its place.  That really sounds defeatist and pessimistic but it just seems that life is that way.  There used to be this thing called Polio.  Someone found a way to control it but then along came AIDS.  It would be great to ask for a superpower that would annihilate all the horrible diseases in the world.  I just feel like they would be replaced by something else equally evil.  Heck, even Superman couldn’t fix the world!

Ok, enough of this downer!  Gah!  My desired superpower would be the ability to fly.  Who doesn’t want to be able to fly?  Ok wait, I need to rephrase that:  I would love to have the ability to fly without feeling terror. (I’m hugely afraid of heights…or maybe I just have a healthy fear of falling.)  I don’t think I would want to fly all the time.  I don’t see myself as a flying junkie…flying addict someone who simply has to fly.  I would prefer to use my power when I felt the need to relax and be calm.  Who among us doesn’t need some amazing release for the stress and anxiety that everyday life can throw at us? Those of us dealing with a chronic disease often have things piled on top of us until we feel suffocated.  How cool would it be to just leap into the air and soar, leaving all the crap behind us on Earth?  Ahhhh…..I can almost feel the freedom and joy.

Yes, I would love to do something that would better our world, but by having a way to make myself a better person; someone who has a cooler-than-cupcakes way to deal with stress, I think the world would be a better place.  At least my little corner of it would be better.  Besides, while I’m up there soaring about, I could save the random kitten in a tree or fly really fast against the rotation of the Earth and turn back time now and then.  Hey, it is a fantasy you know.

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  Posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

2 comments:

  1. Do you think maybe you would fly to Connecticut??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Having the ability to fly at will would certainly make D-meetups possible! That would be an extra cool benefit.

      Delete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.