Wednesday, April 18, 2012

No Thank You, I Don’t Eat That


Open a Book. Choose a book and open it to a random page and point to a phrase. Use that phrase to get you writing today. Free write for 15-20 without stopping.

I wanted today’s post to be about diabetes so I purposely picked a book about diabetes to choose a random page.  The following quote comes from The First Year, Type 2 Diabetes by Gretchen Becker. (I highly recommend this book!) Page 75, 3rd paragraph:

“When it comes to diabetes, I discovered that I had to change can’t to don’t in my thinking and speaking.”

What an amazingly, simple and wonderful idea!  This paragraph is in reference to eating out with diabetes.  We’ve all been faced with food choices that aren’t the best for us, and those well-meaning friends who encourage us to take “just one bite”.  It’s so easy to give in and possibly ruin your good intentions.  I know for me that “just one bite” only makes me want more.  I’m better off with none, thank you very much.

I haven’t always been good about watching what I eat when I go out with friends, (other than watching it go into my mouth.)  The idea of thinking that I don’t eat some foods completely takes away the feeling of deprivation.  When we think that we can’t eat something it just feels awful and unfair and…..dammit I’m going to eat it anyway!  Saying that we don’t eat something implies a conscious decision.  How empowering is that?  I have made a decision that certain foods should not pass my lips.  I have decided that my health is far more important than eating something that isn’t good for me!

I have written in my blog that I will still have a treat now and then.  I still eat some higher-carb foods when the conditions are right.  I just mentioned in my last post that I do not fear carbs, but I respect them.  If I want to splurge, then I’m going to!  I still think that’s just fine, but the idea of the mind switch that this quote encourages is priceless in my opinion.  I think we’re too hard on ourselves.  There’s been lots of talk in the DOC about guilt and depression in relation to our diabetes.  Why should we pile on even more?  Making the decision to not eat certain foods is a healthy, mature and sane thing to do.  Thinking that we can’t eat certain foods is just a way to punish ourselves.

I’m an advocate for each of us doing what is right for ourselves.  There isn’t just one way to deal with diabetes, whether it’s through diet or medication.  My way of dealing with D is to do the best I can each and every day to keep my numbers in line (sometimes it takes a chair and whip!)  I refuse to beat myself up and deny myself the enjoyment of time with friends and family over a nosh, but what a cool tool to add to my belt!  I feel better already just thinking about it.  “Won’t you have some mashed potatoes with your chicken?”  “No thank you, I don’t eat potatoes.”  WIN!

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

2 comments:

  1. i have to start using that line of thinking, and then sticking to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I was just reading about this type of thinking yesterday, when we say we can't have something it brings about feelings of deprivation and then that thing becomes almost irresistible. If however you make a conscious decision to choose not to have something it makes it easier to resist. Example: Those mashed potatoes smell delicious but I know I will feel crap after eating them so I choose not to have them.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.