Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Zombie Dinner Party



5 Dinner Guests. Who are 5 people you’d love to have dinner with (living or deceased) and why?

It didn’t take me long at all to come up with the 5 people I’d enjoying sharing a meal with: my 4 grandparents and Mark Twain.  My father’s parents lived in Wisconsin and I only laid eyes on them 3 times in my entire life. (one time didn’t count because I was just a baby.)  My mother’s parents were closer to home and we saw them a couple of times a year. So why have I picked these 5 people to share a meal with me?

I admire Mark Twain’s wit and sarcasm more than any other author that comes to mind.  I would love to pick his brain and find out what made him tick.  I want sarcasm lessons and tips on how to write like he did.  I have my moments but I want to improve.  How cool would it be to have an opportunity to talk with such a great writer?

I may have seen my maternal grandparents more often but they both died when I was very young.  I have fond memories of the Christmases we spent at their home with one of my aunt’s family.  The thing is I have so many questions now, as an adult, that I never got a chance to ask them!  When you’re 8 it never occurs to you to ask about your grandparent’s lives; where they lived, how they coped, what life was like back then.  Now I want that chance to ask my questions.

My mom is one of 7 children born to a woman who, at 5’2”, had all her children at home in southern California.  I would love to know how it was raising such a large family during that time.  They lived through the depression and yet all the stories I hear are of happy times and laughter.  My grandfather lost his eyesight long before I came into the world and I’d like to hear from him what it was like to navigate the world.  My grandmother was an amazing gardener who could grow anything.  I’d give my right arm to take some lessons from her (maybe my veggie garden would actually produce worthy food!)  I feel like I missed so much.

My paternal grandparents have a similar story but with lots of differences.  My father was an only child and grew up on a farm in Wisconsin.  I’ve heard stories of the hardships during the depression but they made it through with tenacity and determination.  The one time I went to visit them in Wisconsin I remember being astonished that my grandmother still cooked on a wood-burning stove!  The sights, sounds and smells of that great home in Wisconsin were so foreign to me and appealing.

My grandmother had diabetes in her old age.  I would give anything to be able to sit and talk with her about the disease.  How different it must have been for her back then!  I have no idea if there were oral medications for her to take, or if she had injections of insulin.  What type of diet was she forced to follow?  How did they monitor her condition? She wore fairly thick glasses but didn’t lose her eyesight.  Did she have any other complications?  I want to know!!

How ridiculous is it that I’m sitting here typing this with tears in my eyes.  It makes me want to go and hug my mom right now before I can’t any longer.

I am definitely a romantic when it comes to the past.  I sometimes long for the “simpler times” that my grandparents lived in.  I do love my technology, but I also completely enjoy the times we spend camping in the woods with only a campfire for light and a simple kitchen.  I think I would have thrived back then.  I think I would have been “good at it”.  Would I have developed diabetes at such a “young” age if I had lived back then?  Who knows?  The idea of this dinner party so intrigues me; I want to start planning the menu now!

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

1 comment:

  1. sounds like your grandparents had interesting lives. the thought of cooking on a wood-burning stove! definately simpler times, but scary times, medically speaking. it would be nice though wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.