Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Dream Day with Diabetes



HAWMC Day #14: My Dream Day. Describe your ideal day. How would you spend your time? Who would you spend it with? Have you had this day? If not – how could you make it happen?

Stretch….yawn….rub my eyes.  Gosh it feels so good to wake up after a good night’s sleep!  No hot flashes, no trips to the bathroom, no rolling over because my shoulder hurts.  This is going to be a wonderful day!

Pop my thyroid pill, wash my hands and test my glucose.  95!!  W00t!  Hop on the computer to see what’s going on in the world today.  I need to kill an hour before I can eat (damn thyroid!)

Breakfast: Omelet with veggies and cheese and turkey sausage on the side.  I think I’ll have one piece of rye toast because my number was so good today.  Meds!

Off to exercise for 30 minutes.  I think I’ll walk on the treadmill and watch something mindless on the tv.  I love that exercising is just part of my day without issue.  I no longer feel dread when I think about doing it, I just do it!  Sweet!  Must guzzle water!

I think I’ll spend some time working in the yard today.  This new landscape project is going to take a lot of work, but if I do it in bits and pieces I think I will be able to manage it.  Dang, these rocks are heavy!  It’s starting to look pretty good.  1PM?  How did it get so late?  I guess I’d better eat some lunch.  I nearly forgot to eat!

Lunch: chicken salad sandwich with tomato, avocado and lettuce on low-carb toast.  I think I’ll have some mini-peppers on the side.  Why is it that the messier my sandwich is, the better it tastes?

It’s time to read.  There’s nothing better than kicking back to relax and read for an hour.  It’s so nice outside that I think I’ll take my book out on the front porch today.  Don’t forget my glass of water!

I suppose I should do some cleaning…..blech.  I hate housework.

It’s 4 o’clock and it’s time to go to Mom’s house. (She’s 93 and I go every day to do chores, etc.)  I’ll munch on a cheese stick on my way over.  Chores, then Jeopardy.  Mom is always impressed when I get the answers right.  (She’s easily impressed!)  I love reading to Mom.  It was a red-letter day when I thought to begin doing this.  I read to her for 30 minutes every day and love it when I can end at a particularly suspenseful spot.  Tee hee.

Back home to make dinner.  What shall we have tonight?  Hmmmm…fish or stir fry….maybe Ray will grill some chicken.  It’s so yummy, and the grilled veggies we do on the side are to die for.  I think I’ll see what my bg is….101, yesssss!  Meds!
Now we can relax in front of the tv for the evening, just enjoying each other’s company.  Ain’t life grand?

You may be asking why this was a dream day with diabetes. It seems so ordinary! I hope you’ll note that diabetes was barely mentioned throughout the day.  Notice that I made some great food and exercise choices without whining or complaining.  Good choices were just part of my day without much thought.  That is what makes this day a dream for me.  It’s also a day when diabetes didn’t get in the way.  I never had to stop doing what I wanted because of diabetes.  I could have written about a dream day where diabetes was gone, but I’ve recently decided to stop wishing it away and just accept it.

Have I had such a day?  Yes!! In fact, I’ve had this day in one way or another many times recently…..and so can you!  We don’t have to live our lives with diabetes hanging over our heads, but we can’t ignore it completely.  It doesn’t have to cause havoc and despair.  Keep doing what is good for you and eventually it will just become part of your life, without much thought.  Do I always have such great days?  Heck no.  In fact, just this week I’ve been seeing higher fasting numbers again for no apparent reason.  I’ve had days when I test like a maniac because nothing is working.  None of us are perfect and we can’t expect to always have “dream days”.  Don’t beat yourself up when things don’t go the way you want them to.  “After all, tomorrow is another day.” GWTW

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

1 comment:

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.