Friday, April 27, 2012

My Challenges and Victories


5 Challenges. 5 Small Victories. Make a list of the 5 most difficult parts of your health focus. Make another top 5 list for the little, good things (small victories) that keep you going.

·       I have to constantly think about what I eat, how much I exercise and where my blood glucose sits.

but…

Doing all those things keeps me healthier and may stave off future complications.

·       I can’t just eat.  I can no longer mindlessly munch on whatever I want.

but…

The things that I used to mindlessly munch on weren’t good for me.

·       Stereotypes about people with type 2 diabetes are rude and hurtful.  Uninformed people can say things that are untrue and unkind.

but…

I can be an amazing example of what someone with type 2 diabetes can be.  By living a healthy lifestyle I can show the world that having diabetes doesn’t mean you can’t live a healthy, happy life.

·       Dealing with a chronic disease, like diabetes, you can feel alone and discouraged and depressed.

but…

The DOC is out there and is full of helpful, understanding people; people who “get it” and are there to help you through it all.

·       There are so many ways to deal with diabetes.  There are different ideas on how we should eat and what medications we should take.  Navigating all the options and weeding out the scams is tiring.

but…

By educating myself and testing different foods I can find what’s best for me. Trial and error and trial again have led me to my best balance of food and exercise. My meter is my friend….a nagging, sometimes irritating, but always helpful friend.

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.