Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In a perfect world



I chose one of the early-bird prompts for today: Write about one thing you wish you could change. It can be in your own life or the world at large.

It’s so easy to dream about how we might be able to change the world for the better.  There are so many things to choose from.  In a perfect world, there would be no disease or war; there would be plenty of food for each and every person and adequate shelter with fresh water to drink.  The problem with dreaming of a perfect world is that we forget that we humans are anything but perfect.  Even if we were given a utopia to live in, we would probably muck it up eventually in some way.  The reality is that perfection just isn’t possible.

However, if I could choose just one thing to improve upon in relation to humans and their proclivities, it would be to make us more compassionate.

Compassion: noun; a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

Think about it, if our world was more compassionate, so many of the bad things that happen would simply disappear!  We excel at looking down our noses at others who may not be up to our standards.  We bash other cultures.  We tsk, tsk at those who are less fortunate than we are.  People with disabilities or chronic illness get a bad rap more often than not.  Religion and politics cause war and dissention.  Who are we to think that our way is the only or best way?

One of the great things about participating in Wego Health’s month-long writer’s challenge is that it gives us an opportunity to read other health blogs that are about an issue other than our own.  We get a peek into another’s life with chronic illness and can see how they cope.  Surprisingly enough, there are often similarities despite the fact that our diseases or conditions are completely different.  This gives me a feeling of compassion for those people, but beyond that, it gives me hope.  It makes me realize that there are a lot of tough people out there who are dealing with the crap life sometimes hands them and they are thriving!

In my perfect world, compassion is the one trait that I would hand out like candy to everyone I met.  If I could elevate the compassion in our world, it wouldn’t make it perfect but it sure would make it better.  If only…..

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

1 comment:

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.