Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I write about my health because…



Once upon a time, there was a woman named Kate who lived a pretty good life.  Sure, she went through some tough times, but who doesn’t?  At this point in her life things were good.  She had 4 wonderful grown kids and a boyfriend whom she loved.

One day she received some bad news; she had diabetes.  At first she wasn’t all that scared.  She didn’t really know all that much about diabetes but her doctor told her that she just had to lose weight.  That’s not so bad, right?  She set about learning from books and the Internet, all that she could about this condition.  The more she learned, the more worried she got.  “This might be more difficult than I realized!”  She kept reading that she could eat anything, in moderation, but she still had trouble getting her glucose readings down at certain times of the day.  Eventually her doctor put her on an oral medication.  She felt like a failure.

It took her too long to find the DOC, but she did.  She read a blog by another person with diabetes.  She realized that she was not alone; that there were so many other people out there who were dealing with this disease day in and day out.  She felt better, less alone.  She learned even more about her condition and how to fight back.  She knew that each person with diabetes is different and there are lots of different ways to live with the disease: different diets, exercise and medications; she just had to find what fit her best.

In the end, Kate rocked her diabetes more times than not.  She had learned many lessons, some the hard way, and continues to thrive despite diabetes.

Why do I write about my life with diabetes?  Who knows, maybe I can be that one person on the Internet who speaks to another person with diabetes and makes a difference.  Maybe my blog could be the one that helps someone else not feel alone.  Maybe something I have to say will get through and allow that person to be able to better handle their diabetes.  I might have a kernel of knowledge that will help someone else feel more empowered.  Knowing that, how could I not write about D?

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

1 comment:

  1. Maybe? Maybe??? Oh no no no no no, there are no Maybes about it. Your blog does speak to others with diabetes and lets us know we aren't alone, and your blog does help us better handle our diabetes and empower us. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.