Friday, April 20, 2012

I Don’t Believe in Miracle Cures


Miracle Cure. Write a news-style article on a miracle cure. What’s the cure? How do you get the cure? Be sure to include a disclaimer.  ;)

Today’s prompt turned me off.  I even considered skipping it altogether but then I figured it might give me a chance to educate.  (I understand that HAWMC is not just about diabetes; that many other health bloggers are out there talking about their particular health issues.)

You may be wondering why a discussion about a miracle cure would upset me.  Who wouldn’t love a miracle cure?  I’m upset because people with type 2 diabetes are constantly being barraged with claims of a miracle cure.  There is forever a news article or advertisement or new book claiming that there is a way to cure diabetes.  This follows closely with the myth that we did this to ourselves by being fat and lazy.  “All we need to do” is lose weight and we’ll be cured.  If we would just follow this diet.  There is no magic pill or one diet that will heal us.  Only hard work and dedication to our health will help us deal with this disease.  I do hope that there is a cure, someday, but it won’t be a miracle when it arrives.  It will be because scientists and doctors have worked hard to figure out what causes it in the first place.

I want a cure for diabetes.  I want to read on the front page of every newspaper in the world that there will no longer be babies diagnosed with type 1.  I want to know that parents everywhere are finally getting a good night’s sleep because they no longer need to hover over their children while they sleep. I want to hear that there is a way to heal a pancreas so that it will again provide the needed insulin. I want all my T1 friends to be able to disconnect from their pumps and CGMs and throw away their needles.  I want everyone with T2 to be able to eat what they want, when they want and not worry about their glucose rising.  I want all people with diabetes to stop worrying that they’ll lose their feet or eyes or die before their time.  I want….

What I think would be miraculous when it comes to T2 is a whole laundry list of things.  So, let me throw some bullets at you. 

I want…

·       stereotypes to disappear.

·       people to show compassion.

·       the FDA to improve our food supplies by insisting that unhealthy practices cease as in:
o   the chicken and beef that I buy not to contain pink slime.
o   the meat that I buy to be free of hormones.
o   less processing of packaged foods and more “real food”.

·       nutrition information readily available at all restaurants.

·       serving sizes to return to something healthier and more sane.

·       to buy smaller amounts at the grocery store and not pay twice as much.

·       all doctors to understand type 2 diabetes better.

·       all CDEs and dieticians to realize that every single person with diabetes is different and that one way of eating isn’t always going to work.

·       insurance companies (and Medicare) to stop limiting how many test strips someone can get when they “only” have type 2.

·       all people with type 2 diabetes to care enough about themselves to do something to improve their health!!!!!

If all these things were to happen, then it would be a miracle.  It would mean that type 2 diabetes could become a thing of the past.  It would mean that the world’s population might have a chance to beat this thing.  Let these things happen to help those of us who suffer with this monster.  Then, let’s see the scientists and doctors find out why this happens and find a cure for our future generations.

If only….

I’m participating in Wego Health’s Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge.  I’m posting every day in April.  #HAWMC

1 comment:

  1. awesome post Kate!!! i noticed you made the 3 at 3 on Wego's FB page! good for you! you need to copy this post and put it up in Doctors offices, and CDE offices. Everywhere, so everyone can read it and work for the changes you need and the cure we deserve!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.