Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Miracle of a Good Discussion


Last Thursday I had my quarterly visit with Dr. B. I was excited about this appointment for a variety of things, which in itself is unusual for me.  Most of my doctor visits since my diagnosis have been pretty boring.  I’m doing fine.  No changes.  No questions.  Just something I have to do.  This time, however, I went armed with questions, not only about myself but about how things are for newly diagnosed patients in my community.  It was my best doctor visit, ever!!

First I want to tell you how great this visit was in respect to my diabetes.  I have always liked the way Dr. B approached my diabetes but this visit was the first time we ever discussed diet.  I am very pleased to announce that we are on the same page in regards to how/what I should be eating.  How cool is that?  I wrote here
about some changes that I’ve recently made to my food plan.  (I am pleased to announce that I’m continuing to see great numbers on my meter and my energy level is almost back to normal.)  Since the changes I made revolve around less carbs, which seems to go against the “machine’s” idea of what someone with diabetes should be eating, I was anxious to get my doctor’s take on lower carb.  I wanted to be sure that what I’m doing is healthy for me, in my doctor’s opinion.  She agrees completely with my food plan and thinks that I’m on the right track.  I know how lucky I am to have such a doctor.  She actually thinks that more protein, more non-starchy vegetables and less processed carbs is the way to go.  She agrees that the ADA’s recommendation for carb intake is too high.  She told me that she recently gave a talk to a group of dieticians and was “booed out of the room” for her views.  How scary is that?  (But there is hope, which I will discuss in my next post.)

Anyway, she’s behind my changes and has given me permission to reduce my metformin at night when I start seeing FBS consistently in the 90’s.  She was impressed with my numbers (A1c was great! Blood pressure on the low end) and is happy with my weight loss.  She actually called me a thin diabetic!  (I think she needs glasses).  I can’t tell you how great it feels to be making positive changes in my life and have a professional agree with my research.  It’s indescribable how amazing it was to sit and talk about my health with someone who has such knowledge; to have her listen to me; to have her agree with my ideas.  It felt like a miracle.

I want to tell you all the amazing stuff we discussed about the diabetes community at large, but I’ve decided to split this up into two posts.  In my next post I’ll talk about my hopes for my local D community and ways that I am going to be able to participate.  I’m so excited!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I'm so proud of you!!! You are truly an educated and empowered patient, and you are setting such a good example for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.