Monday, February 27, 2012

Peanut Butter Pie, Oh My!


It’s a fallacy to think that people with diabetes can’t eat certain foods.  It’s not true to say that any food is off-limits.  However, it is true that there are foods that aren’t as good for us or might be a detriment to our glucose readings.  Each and every one of us is different and our bodies respond in various ways to different foods.  So when thinking about it in that context, there are definitely some foods that some of us must avoid, ie: pasta can send on person’s glucose through the ceiling where someone else might be able to eat the same thing without too much issue.

Sometimes we just need a treat, right?  People who have diabetes can also eat sweets.  Each of us has a favorite thing we just love to eat but have to limit.  It’s ok to indulge now and then provided we’re smart about it.  

I adore peanut butter pie.  I drool just typing the name.  I figured that I had to let it go since I don’t seem to have much control when eating it, but I found a solution!  I found a recipe for it here.

This recipe could, in no way, be considered low fat or low sugar or low anything for that matter, so I set about to make it “friendlier” and this is what I came up with:

·       I use lower fat, or fat free cream cheese.
·       I substitute Splenda Blend for the confectioner’s sugar.
·       I use fat free milk (I’m considering trying almond milk to lower the carbs but haven’t tried it yet.  Almond milk is wonderful!)
·       I use fat free whipped topping.
·       I make my own graham cracker crust so I can control what’s in it.

I think you get the picture.  This pie is really rich so you’d think that I wouldn’t have any trouble limiting my consumption.  hahahahahahahahahahaHA!  You obviously don’t know me very well, do you?  When confronted with the whole pie, I have a hard time limiting the size of my slice or stopping when I should, but I found a really good way to fix that.  Instead of making it into pies, I portion it out into ¼ cup Rubbermaid containers.  I sprinkle about 1 Tbsp of crust into the bottom, add the filling and put on the top.  This pie is frozen so I pop the multitude of little containers into the freezer and can take one out whenever I want a treat.  I only take out one…period!  This way I don’t have to look at the whole pie or be smart when I slice into it.  The portioning is already done.

So here is my version of peanut butter pie along with the “nutritional information” (honestly, there is nothing nutritional about this pie, but ask me if I care.)  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! 

No Bake Peanut Butter Pie, the Friendlier Version

Filling:
8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
¾ cup Splenda Sugar Blend for baking
1 cup peanut butter (I use Skippy Natural, chunky)
1 cup fat free milk
1-16 oz. package of fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed

Crust for 1 pie:
1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup Splenda
5 Tbsp margarine, melted.

1.    Beat together the cream cheese and sugar blend.  Mix in peanut butter and milk.  Beat until smooth.  Fold in whipped topping.
2.    Freeze until set.  Remove from freezer and let it sit for a bit before eating.
3.    This makes 2- 9” pies OR you can use the method I mentioned above to make individual servings.

Nutrition Information for 1/8 of 1 pie:
Calories: 264, Fat: 15g (Sat: 3.2, Poly: 1.8 and Mono: 3), Sodium: 239mg, Carbs: 29g (fiber: 1.4g, sugar:15.5g), Protein: 5g
These numbers would be even better in the fat and carbs if you use fat free cream cheese and almond milk.

Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

  1. I neglected to mention that you should either put it into pie crusts or 1/4 cup containers before you freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I haven't experienced peanut butter pie - might be time to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to make something very similar next week. I love PB, and I love cheese cake so its a win/win :)

    1 - cream cheese bar
    1 - tub of sugar free cool whip
    1 - cup of baking splenda
    PB amount to taste. Whip it all together, and put in container. No crust, just PB creamy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous re-do!!!! To me, the most brilliant part is to make individual servings that get stored in the freezer - what a perfect way to insure portion control. Good for you, and thank you for sharing this idea with the rest of us. You've got some wheels turning in my head too.

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.