Sunday, February 26, 2012

Happy Blogaversary to Me!


One year ago today I posted my first blog post!  I can’t believe that it’s been a year already.  I can remember thinking that there was no way I would ever have enough things to blog about; that I would run out of things to say quickly.  Boy, was I wrong!  Be warned, there is still so much I have to say!

One of the neatest ways I was able to celebrate this milestone was to be a guest on DSMA Live this past Thursday night.  I was so honored and completely touched by the positive feedback I received and the kind compliments.  It was so cool!  If you don’t already know, DSMA stands for Diabetes Social Media Advocacy.  The idea is the brainchild of Cherise Shockley.  She, along with an advisory panel, hosts the website, http://diabetessocmed.com/ 
and also moderates a chat on Twitter each Wednesday night beginning at 9PM Eastern (#DSMA).  She prompts the people who participate with specific questions which all revolve around diabetes and we just put it out there.  It’s fantastic and I highly recommend that you participate if you aren’t already.  The D support from this alone is a good reason to have a Twitter account.

Then on Thursday night they host DSMA Live which is an online radio show with a special guest.  Cherise has two co-hosts, George and Scott, and they spend an hour talking with that guest.  That guest was me this past week.  You can find archives of the shows here.  It was so much fun and I’m pleased to have been invited to be a guest.

So what do I see for my next year of blogging?  I see more of the same with a tad more attitude.  I have come to realize that there are no rules to blogging.  I can say whatever I want to say; it’s my blog.  I think I worried too much this past year that I would offend someone or say something “wrong”.  I don’t plan to worry about that as much any longer.  Of course, I will always try to write in a thoughtful manner and consider all sides of an issue.  I also want to present more information on research and new ideas in the world of diabetes.  I want to share the information that I find when I’m lurking on the internet.

I’m also anxious to take my advocacy out into the real world.  I want to see what I can do to raise awareness and improve diabetes education in my little town.  I plan to be a gnat, pestering to raise awareness; bugging people who can help make a difference.  I’ll be a gnat for the greater good!  Maybe I can even come up with a super hero costume!  Uh, no.  Let’s hope this gnat doesn’t get swatted.

All in all, I’m proud of my blog.  It’s been a wonderful way for me to deal with my diabetes while, hopefully, helping others along the way.  Happy Blogaversary to Sweet Success!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Blogaversary!!!!

    I must admit, for myself, for close to a year now, I have found it difficult for myself to find things to blog about. When I first started my blog, I wanted it mostly directed toward the educational aspect of diabetes... to educate others about the disease, help others cope with it, and unite people who live with it to find some kind of support system for them. But, after a while, I found myself struggling to find more and more educational material to talk about (felt like I've covered just about every aspect I could think of!), and it made me go on a "hiatus" for a while, to allow me time to rethink my direction for my blog. I still haven't figured out a "clear cut" direction for it, but I've decided that, the only way to get over this hump, and get past this writer's block I've been having for so long, is just to get back to writing again! So, now, I'm just kind of going with the flow.... and seeing where it leads me.

    I often wonder what other d-bloggers do when they get writers block, and what they do to overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogaversary! It was such a treat to chat with you on the show last week. So glad you joined us!

    I think it's great to just go with the flow and go wherever it leads you. There's no rules to this blogging thing! We're all just making it up as we go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogaversary!! It was so much fun getting to talk with you one the show!

    I love your focus and your goals!

    You should check out some Meme's. They are good from writers block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on you first year of blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy Blogaversary!!!!! I wasn't able to catch DSMA Live when it was live last week, but I listened on Sunday and you were an awesome guest. I loved hearing of all of your wonderful plans, and I can't wait to read about them during your second year of blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.