Monday, February 6, 2012

A Diabetes Fairytale


Once upon a time there was a woman named Sweet Sue.  She had a good life and lived it fairly worry free.  Life was good.  During a routine visit to her doctor it was discovered that, in fact, she was a little bit too sweet and had developed diabetes.  Although it was a shock to Sweet Sue, she received lots of good information from her doctor and was sent to see a Certified Diabetes Educator.  Her medical team listened to her and worked with her to understand how to fight her condition.  She learned so much about the condition and various ways that she could fight back.  Sue went about changing her diet based on what she had learned.  She tested her blood glucose to better understand how certain foods affected her body and adjusted accordingly. She never forgot to take her meds.  Although she missed eating whatever she wanted, she was able to adjust without too much trouble.  She never ate chips straight out of the bag.  She made her own, healthier pizza and never craved the stuff she ate before.  She was able to bake cookies and manage to eat only 1 or 2 at a time.  She adjusted her meal portions with ease.  Sweet Sue rocked her diabetes every day.

Sweet Sue also added exercise to her daily routine and lost weight.  She felt better than ever and walked about with a smile on her face.  She never went back to her old ways and was able to again live a good life, happy and carefree….and she lived happily ever after.



In reality, I doubt that Sweet Sue really exists just like there is no Cinderella or Rapunzel or Sleeping Beauty. (However, I still believe in Santa Claus!)  Fairytale women have so many bad things happen to them but manage to persevere and make it through somehow.  They have their Prince Charmings to come along and slay the dragon or climb the tower to rescue them. They have friends like woodland creatures and cute little mice to cheer them up when things are dark. They have the tenacity to do what is needed without looking back.  They move on and live well.

I think we all have a little of the fairytale heroine in each of us.  We have the tenacity.  We have the drive and desire.  We have the knowledge and use it to our benefit.  The DOC is our woodland friend, cute animal and Prince Charming; always there to help us when we need it.  However, sometimes we forget how heroic we can be.  Sometimes we slip a bit and waver from our goal.  Does that make us less of a success?  No, it makes us human. 

When I grow up I want to be just like Sweet Sue.  I want to be able to do all the things that she did, consistently.  I can excel at finding out what to eat.  I seem to have the exercise thing down pretty good.  However, I can’t seem to do what I need to do consistently.  I have been feeling like a bit of a failure lately and it weighs heavily on me.  I need to remember that people like Sweet Sue; people who do it ALL correctly ALL the time, don’t exist.  I’m human but that doesn’t mean I can’t do better.  I can’t stop trying to be like Sweet Sue but I have to stop beating myself up when I fall short.

PS: Wouldn’t it be lovely if Sweet Sue’s medical team really existed and could be cloned to serve all the well-deserved PWD around the world?  Too many of us are shoved out the door with little more than a prescription and advice to change our diet.  That needs to change.

Disney's Cinderella mice

4 comments:

  1. This was such a cute post - I love your fairy-tale / real life analogies. Like you, I'm much more human than princess - I could use a little fairy-tale magic to help me be more perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! The key to being a "good" diabetic is to strive for 98% :) 100% isn't going to happen, but if you allow yourself some % of the time to just be in the moment. Have that food that tickles your fancy, and not feel guilty. I think was separates a "good" diabetic from the rest is the ability to resume your plan the next meal. No the next day, week, or month but next meal. If you can do that, you can have that indulgence and not have it throw your plan/routine down the drain.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you're not a Google user (or one of the others listed) please feel free to leave an anonymous comment. I've decided to start moderating comments instead of using Capcha codes. I hope it's less of a hassle for you.