Monday, December 12, 2011

Time For A Change

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about how I’m doing living with diabetes.  I like to think that I have pretty good control, but upon closer examination it feels more like I’ve just been bailing faster than the water is coming in.  I suppose that’s a victory of sorts but I feel like I could do better.

I remember, back when I was first diagnosed, that horrible feeling of helplessness; that idea that my world would have to change dramatically; the confusion about just what it was I needed to do.  I started out with diet and exercise as my plan without any medication.  It felt like maybe it wasn’t so bad after all but I still wasn’t sure just what to do.

I’m a carboholic, like many people are.  I crave carbs and have been known to stuff myself with “bad carbs”. Heck, if we’re being truthful here, this has happened recently! (I never said I was perfect.)  I also enjoy sweets, but not to the same extent as  pasta/bread/potatoes.  In fact, I’m pleased to note that since I have been living the diabetic lifestyle, my cravings for sweets has diminished!  Now when I eat something sweet it just doesn’t float my boat the same way it did 10 years ago.  My initial thoughts when I was first diagnosed were how can I continue to eat what I love? Instead of planning to cut things out of my diet I tried to figure out how to keep them in.  This is a good thing unless you are a carboholic who lacks will power.  <insert picture of Kate here.>  :-|

I do pretty well for the most part, as I indicated at the start of this post, but I think it’s time for a change; a shift in my thinking.  Maybe it’s time to promote to the next grade level in the “I’m-a-person-with-diabetes-for-life” school.

I think the most important step I can take at this time is to evaluate my relationship with food.  It’s pretty dysfunctional, if you want to know the truth.  It controls me and then I get all offended and regain control.  I sometimes put it on a pedestal and then hurt myself climbing up to get it.  Occasionally I view it as the enemy; an enemy with which I have to negotiate some sort of peace treaty.  

What’s the reality?  The reality is that food is a necessary fuel which my body needs to function.  It’s a necessary, wonderful, scrumptious, damn I love it, way-better-than sex nearly anything, fuel.  It’s time for me to re-negotiate the terms of my living arrangement with food.  I need to stop finagling to fit difficult foods into my plan and, instead, find healthier things to eat that I will enjoy.

Starting now I plan to revamp the way I’m eating and find tasty, healthy foods to eat to replace the carb-rich foods I’m addicted to.  Here’s hoping I succeed.

2 comments:

  1. i am with you on this. if i could, i would marry potatoes! they are not kind to me but i love them anyway! LOL! i, too, need to revamp. let me know if you find any healthy foods that you enjoy, and we can trade ideas!
    good luck, and bon apetite!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.