Friday, November 11, 2011

You’ve Got a Friend

 

Today’s prompt encourages us to talk about what works well in our health community, social media or blog.  There’s always something that we’d like to change, but what is working well?

First let me say that I'm not sure where I fit in my online community, as yet. That may seem as if I’m starting this post out on a negative, but I’m not.  That’s not a negative; just a fact.  You see, I feel like I’m out here on the fringe.  There is this amazing DOC (Diabetes Online Community) in which many people interact and exchange ideas.  They seem to know each other so well already and I’m fairly new to the party.  I recently posted about this very subject at Where Do I Fit In?.  How ironic it is to me that this was posted just 2 days before I found the Wego Health Blog NHBPM.

I may not be all chummy with other people in the DOC but I have definitely benefitted….more than I can say.  The DOC, with all its myriad of blogs and websites dedicated to diabetes, is a wonderful place to come for support.  You don’t have to be best friends with anyone in this community in order to find support.  It’s just there for the finding.  There are great people who know what you’re going through.  They’ve been there, they’ve felt it.    Feeling low because your control is slipping and you don’t know why?  There’s someone out there who feels your confusion and frustration.  Happier than a kid at Disneyland about your latest A1c and want to shout it from the rooftops?  The DOC has plenty of people ready, willing and able to share your joy.  They get it.

There are very few people in my “real world” who truly understand what it’s like to be someone with diabetes.  In fact, I can’t think of a soul. Even my wonderful husband, Ray, doesn’t always get it.  He’s here for me and supports me in too many ways to list, but he doesn’t really feel my joy or pain like the DOC does.

How do I get this support?  My blog has been so good for me in many, many ways.  This is a place I can come to, to shout those joys and frustrations as loud as I want.  Whether someone hears my shouts or not, I can't say, but it doesn’t really matter.  I can get it out there and feel better about it all.  I have also had times when I’m feeling kinda low and I’ve come across someone else’s blog post that speaks to me.  Someone else has had something to say that resonates with me.  I am not alone.  There are countless other people right here with me; holding my hand, giving me a hug, supporting me in my journey.  THAT is what makes this community work; what makes it wonderful.  Thank you….and Thank You Veterans!

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Kate! Sorry you still feel a bit "on the fringe". Like a big, close family, we can be a bit overwhelming at times! If you've signed up with one of our communities (such as dLife or TuDiabetes), look through the forums... maybe you'll find something interesting you want to ask more about -- or something someone else is asking about, for which you can supply an answer. Join in our Wednesday night #dsma Twitter chat, or listen to DSMA Live every Thursday night on Blog Talk Radio...

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.