Monday, November 14, 2011

World Diabetes Day

 

That Woman in the Elevator.  If you were in an elevator with someone and they asked about your blog, what would you tell them?

“Excuse me, but I couldn’t help overhearing in the lobby that you write a blog.  Could you tell me what you write about?”

The 2 floor version:
My blog is about my life with type 2 diabetes.  I started writing back in February as a way to keep myself on track.  It’s working!  I also hope to help other people understand more about diabetes; how you get it and how you deal with it once you do get it.  Give me your email address and I’ll send you a link, if you’re interested.

The 4 floor version:
I blog about living with type 2 diabetes.  It has been a wonderful way to keep myself on track with my condition.  I’m also interested in helping others understand more about this condition and ways to prevent it.  Did you know that it is possible to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes?  How?  The World Health Organization says, “Healthy diet, regular physical activity, maintaining a normal body weight and avoiding tobacco use can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes."  How cool is that?  I wish I’d known that many years ago, then maybe I wouldn’t have developed this disease until I was much, much older.  I can see that you are interested in knowing more.  Give me your email address and I’ll send you links to some very informative websites, as well as my blog if you’d like.

To the top!!!!
I do write a blog!  It’s so much fun.  I enjoy writing and the blog gives me a chance to practice, so to speak.  My blog is about my life with type 2 diabetes.  The thing about diabetes is that it affects each person differently.  Don’t get me wrong; we all have to deal with a lot of the same stuff like checking our blood glucose regularly and monitoring what we eat, but we don’t all take the same medications, we don’t all have the same type of diabetes and different treatment plans affect us differently.  One size does not fit all.

Blogging definitely helps me stay on track with my own treatment, but I’m also interested in spreading the word about diabetes.  Maybe if more people heard individual stories from people with diabetes it would help to dispel some of the myths surrounding this disease.  Did you know that there is more than one type of diabetes?  Did you know that being overweight is not what causes diabetes?  It has been discovered that lack of exercise as we age is a major contributor to developing type 2 diabetes.  You can be thin and still get the disease if you aren’t eating properly and exercising.  That’s huge!  

There is so much to know about diabetes and I’m still learning.  I’d love to share more information with you, if you’d like.  It’s my hope that non-diabetics will better understand this disease so that they can make changes to their lifestyle and possibly avoid this chronic illness.  Give me your email address and I’ll send you a link, if you’re interested.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Great to read this type of Diabetes Type 2 blog. I would love to view more and more type 2 diabetes treatment blogs with additional information.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.