Friday, November 4, 2011

With a Smidge of OCD

Writing about my blogging process has me a bit nervous.  I’m not sure I want you all to know what I go through when I blog, but here it goes.

I haven’t even been writing my blog for a year yet; I started last February.  At first I was worried that I wouldn’t “do it right”.  How many times a week should I post?  I wanted to post every day but then I worried that I’d run out of things to say and it would all be over in a flash.  You see I knew, even back then, that this blogging thing was going to be important to me.  I knew that it would be something good for me and my condition.  I was right.

It didn’t take me long to figure out that there is no right or wrong way to blog.  Everyone has their own style and it’s all good.  There are some killer blogs out there that really make a splash and get the word out in a funny/interesting/informative way.  I want to grow up to be like them.  I started out strong, because I had so much to say, and then settled into a routine, of sorts, where I posted about once a week.  It’s not like I said, “Kate, today is the day you have to post” but I just felt like it about 4-5 times per month. (which makes participating in NHBPM so daunting!)  I did go through a period of time when it was difficult to think of something to say.  Maybe I was feeling like no one really needed to hear all that, but I got over it.  I did have one day in August when I just flat couldn’t think of anything to say so I posted a blank blog post with the title “I’m Speechless”.  (Did I mention that I can be a real smart ass sometimes?)

Once I come up with an idea, the writing is pretty easy.  Here’s where I admit that I can have a smidge of OCD.  I type my blog posts in Word.  I read them over multiple times to make sure they make sense and convey just what I was shooting for.  I look for spelling errors and grammar goofs.  Then I paste the dang thing into the Blogger page, making adjustments in the paragraphs etc, and then…….I preview it multiple times.  Yup, it’s true.

By this time it’s not so difficult to hit that Publish button.  I mean, come on, I’ve read the thing so many times that it can’t have any mistakes….right?  Well, um, the first thing I do after publishing is view the post live and read it again.  After all, it’s out there on the Interweb so I want it to be as good as it can be!

How I handle post-publishing time varies, but the theme there is a bit OCDish too.  I think it depends on how happy I am with the post.  I want to know if someone has actually read it!  That takes me back to my Blogger page several times during the day to look and see.  Sigh. I don't Tweet about it (no Twit account) or share it on Facebook.  I guess I'm just hoping that someone will find it.   

Don’t worry, there is no need to call for an intervention on my behalf.  I’m getting better, really I am!  The nervousness about whether or not I’m “doing it right” has faded quite a bit.  The truth is, I can’t “do it wrong”.  The point of this blog is to share my life with diabetes.  Hopefully someone will glean something from it and it will help them.  I know it’s helped me in so many ways. Maybe someday I’ll be able to crank out a post without reading it first and hit the publish button.  HAHAHAhahahahaha, yeah right.

So, I’m about to hit the publish button.  Don’t worry, I’ve read it multiple times. 

 
This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

1 comment:

  1. i really appreciate your post... as a fellow PWD, with OCD! I blog over at alizawithdiabetes.blogspot.com . I hope that you keep blogging... and you should think about twitter. We have DSMA on Wednesday nights where we basically have these chats based on 6 questions and it is a lot of fun and a great way to interact with the rest of the diabetes community. Sending dHugs!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.