Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Wind

 

Today’s prompt: Be present.  Describe something with as much sensory imagery as you can.

Wind can’t be seen, but you know it’s there. Aspen leaves shimmer in a gentle breeze.  Flags ripple.  Forgotten lawn chairs fly in a sudden storm.  Swinging in a hammock with a good book on a summer day, the wind slowly pushes you. The sound of wind can soothe or frighten.  Wind-pushed rain beats against the window.  Tree limbs thrash about during a storm.  The sound of a freight train when there are no tracks nearby.  Wind, the unseen force.

Diabetes, an unseen disease.  Blood sugars rise with no apparent cause.  Unquenchable thirst.  Too many bathroom trips.  What is wrong?  Uneaten desserts at a party.  Kind thank you’s when offered a second helping.  Shots in the dark.  Pricked fingers.  Test after test.  Anger!  Sadness! The smell of fear in the night.  Then, an offered shoulder; a word of encouragement.  You are not alone.  Diabetes; unseen but not unconquerable.  

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J 

Tuesday’s DBlessing

Diabetes has made me more aware of what I’m eating.  Before diabetes I just ate whatever sounded good or easy.  I sometimes still do that but I’m more aware of what I should be putting in my mouth.  I now know scads more about how my body processes carbs, the different types of carbs and which are friendlier to me. Without diabetes I’d probably weigh 250 lbs by now, even though I wouldn’t want to.  I’ve always had a hard time staying away from calories and therefore have always had a hard time with my weight.  Now I’m thinner and I can thank diabetes for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.