Thursday, November 24, 2011

“There’s no need to fear, Underdog is here!"

 

Today’s prompt: Give your condition, community, or self a mascot.

First, let me apologize up front.  I don’t have much time to write today, for obvious reasons, but I wanted to post.  This will be short and sweet.  

I’ve picked the cartoon character Underdog as my mascot for my diabetes.  An underdog is someone who is expected to lose, someone who doesn’t have a chance.  It’s not that the underdog doesn’t have as much talent or power, but that they have more things working against them than the rest.  However, often times the underdog prevails!

I used to watch Underdog when I was a kid (and I loved Wally Cox who provided his voice).  I loved how the mild-mannered mutt (Shoeshine Boy) would transform into our superhero when Polly Pureheart was in danger!  It showed that even the weakest, seemingly insignificant people (well….dogs) can do great things when needed!

Those of us who are dealing with diabetes may seem like underdogs to everyone else.  We have so much working against us on a daily basis.  If we don’t toe the line we could have major health problems down the road.  I choose to look at myself as the cartoon Underdog!  I won’t let the problems or dangers stop me from what I know that I need to do!  I can fight diabetes and win!!  Here’s to my hero, Underdog!

 
This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

Thanksgiving Day Blessings

Today, day 4 of DBlessings Week, I’m thankful for my wonderful family.  Most of them will be gathered around our table today and I’m looking forward to a fun-filled, laughter-filled day.  Diabetes has blessed my Thanksgiving meals.  I’m certain to be careful of what I eat today which will keep me from feeling like a grounded Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon later.  I’ve made “diabetic friendly” desserts of which I intend to have my share!  I will enjoy my meal but I won’t overdo it, thanks to my diagnosis.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love to receive comments from readers, however, if your comment includes a link to a website about diabetes or information on how you "cured" your diabetes, it won't be published. If your profile name links to a website about diabetes, it won't be published. If you also write a blog and would like me to include it in my blog roll, please say so in a comment and I'll do that. Thanks.